How to escape the Oil Industry?

(10 Posts)
Horispondle Mon 19-Sep-16 23:07:32

Moved to Aberdeen with DH straight from uni, was only meant to be temporary... We have been trying to move to Glasgow, or anywhere in central belt since 2010 and no luck! Problem is we seem to by typecast as Oil industry now and so don't have relevant experience in other industries. Wondering if anyone has been through similar and could advise or offer support?
We have two DC's now and want to be closer to extended family. My BF has managed to emigrate to Australia a lot faster than we can move less than 200 miles away!

ttlshiwwya Tue 20-Sep-16 11:19:29

Colleagues brother (engineering background) had the same problem when he wanted to return to the West of Scotland. Couldn't get any engineering jobs at his level. He ended up taking a temporary teaching contract at a further education college (I think he did physics, engineering, computing - in fact anything just to have sufficient hours). He had experience of training through work but no teaching qualifications. I think he got some on the job training. He used this as a stepping stone to a better lecturing job at a better college. Not sure if this would be of interest.

WankersHacksandThieves Tue 20-Sep-16 12:45:39

I take it you've tried getting something at Grangemouth?

It sounds really frustrating OP. What type of roles/qualifications do you have?

Horispondle Wed 21-Sep-16 16:20:01

Interesting point about teaching. I am currently SAHM but I had been considering tutoring Higher Maths/Physics in the short term, might give me an idea if college lecturing might be suitable.
I actually hadn't considered Grangemouth as I don't know much about it. Will try find out more info. Thank you.

user1471446433 Wed 21-Sep-16 16:23:51

Grangemouth or Rosyth?

3nationsfamily Wed 21-Sep-16 18:03:40

Ineos in Grangemouth would be a good fit although sure they have plenty of other oil people from Aberdeen already chasing jobs in current climate www.ineos.com/sites/grangemouth/careers. Have s look at
Heriot Watt business park ad many spin off companies related to the petrochemical engineering faculty there too, www.edinburghsciencetriangle.com/science-parks/heriot-watt-research-park/hwrp-tenant-companies/

alivealiveoh Wed 21-Sep-16 18:05:13

Wood Group has an office in a suburb of Glasgow...... cannot for the life of me remember the name atm.

HirplesWithHaggis Wed 21-Sep-16 18:26:29

news.scotland.gov.uk/News/Teacher-training-for-oil-and-gas-workers-2567.aspx

Any use?

HirplesWithHaggis Wed 21-Sep-16 18:29:21

www.energyvoice.com/oilandgas/north-sea/115617/redundant-oil-workers-offered-300-training-opportunities/

Not just teacher training.

(I realise it's probably too late for this year.)

InformalRoman Sat 24-Sep-16 17:02:03

Can sympathise with you - I've heard from several sources that employers are wary of employing oil people elsewhere as they have a tendency of hotfooting it back to Aberdeen if/when the oil price and work picks up.

Can you identify all the generic job skills that you have from oil? Project management, people management, financial skills etc? It's going to be hard - and you're not going to get anything like Aberdeen money - DH has been looking at MBA and 20+ years jobs in London, they are only paying half what they would in Aberdeen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now