Any Scottish police officers/ lawyers around?

(10 Posts)
ChippyDucks Thu 08-Sep-16 09:45:47

I've received a citation to appear as a witness at a trial next month. Without going into detail, we live in a small town and I really don't want to give evidence against this person. What would happen to me if I didn't go?

InformalRoman Thu 08-Sep-16 11:06:39

Have you taken a look at this?

www.mygov.scot/being-a-witness/your-citation/

Paulat2112 Thu 08-Sep-16 11:08:37

If you don't go you can get into trouble. Like a warrant for your arrest kind of trouble.

LunaLoveg00d Thu 08-Sep-16 11:13:47

Yes read through the link above and speak to court about your worries. I suppose it depends how important you are to the prosecution case whether they will insist that you are there. Years ago I was called as a witness in a fraud case as I had unwittingly accepted a forged cheque while working in a shop, I called the Procurator Fiscal's office as there wasn't much I could remember about the event anyway, and they excused me from attending. If you are worried about consequences, they can arrange for you to give evidence by video link or behind a screen - but you have to ask about this in advance.

I suppose though if you didn't contact them and just didn't turn up, you;d be guilty of contempt of court which could be prison or more likely a big fine.

CALL THEM.

ChippyDucks Thu 08-Sep-16 11:28:26

Hmm. Of course I wouldn't just not turn up, I was wondering if there was any way of getting out of it. For example, the incident took place in a pub months ago, I had obviously been drinking and my recollection now is slightly hazy.
Plus I don't really want to be there with all the accused's family in court seeing me give evidence.

LunaLoveg00d Thu 08-Sep-16 11:29:58

Call the PF and speak to them. If there were loads of other people in the pub who remember the incident very clearly, they may excuse you.

FourLittleSpeckledFrogs Thu 08-Sep-16 17:00:14

I did jury duty v recently and we were asked to speak to the bloke in charge (for the life of me can't remember his official title) if we felt we couldn't sit on the jury.

He excused me no problem.

Superjaggy Thu 08-Sep-16 22:08:13

I'd write in the first instance to the court to outline your concerns - sounds like you have good grounds for being excused.

cdtaylornats Fri 09-Sep-16 07:21:09

If every witness is local though they are unlikely to excuse witnesses based on that premise.

Purplefrogshoes Fri 09-Sep-16 21:06:47

I would write to the PF with your concerns, there may be things they can do to help. I do however think it's unlikely they would excuse you for the reason you gave.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now