Uni/fee's/Saas payment....I need help lol

(17 Posts)
OhFuds Sun 24-Jul-16 21:20:13

DD is hopefully going to uni in September, does the amount she gets from SAAS need to cover uni fee's or does SAAS pay the uni direct so the money she gets put into her bank will to pay her accommodation and living costs?

If she has to pay uni fee's from what she's getting from saas, then she's screwed and financially I don't know how we'll manage.

KellyCapwell Sun 24-Jul-16 21:26:34

SAAS covers fees entirely and goes to the university directly.

If she takes a student loan, that will come to her in instalments for her living costs.

BeJayKayven Sun 24-Jul-16 21:27:04

You should really have had you application in by now though (for this year)
Have a look at the SAAS website too.
Fees are paid directly to the Uni. Your dd will also be able to apply for a bursary or student loan (depending on your circumstances) which is paid directly to her bank account for living expenses.
guide

OhFuds Sun 24-Jul-16 21:34:33

Yeah My dd has applied for saas and knows the amount she'll have to live off but she thought she had to pay uni fee's out of that, I told her she didn't but thought I'd better check. She's not applied for loans etc but I'll tell her to look into it, our household income is £26000.

OhFuds Wed 27-Jul-16 18:15:04

I knew there was a reason I asked here after Google was starting to confuse me my DD has checked online and she has a bursary of £500 as well as what she was awarded so things look alot better. She turns 18 in October so she'll get money off relatives then and again at xmas so I'm not worried now about the financial side of things now........just the thought of her moving away that worries me lol

BeJayKayven Wed 27-Jul-16 18:55:19

That's the worst bit for me too!

OhFuds Wed 27-Jul-16 19:03:28

I'm excited for her and the Uni has a lovely feel about it and I know she has to spread her wings but part of me wishes she was going to one closer to home so she could drive or take the train to it.

BeJayKayven Wed 27-Jul-16 19:08:55

I know, I keep telling myself it's best for him - but we're still their mums so allowed to miss them 🙂

dotdotdotmustdash Sat 30-Jul-16 19:32:56

My 17yr (not 18 till January) Dd has just left school and has a scholarship to study in China for a year! I'm absolutely dreading her leaving next month. I'm envious of those of you who will still get to see your kids at weekends and holidays!

BeJayKayven Sat 30-Jul-16 22:44:12

Oh dotdot that's a difficult one for you flowers

OhFuds Sun 31-Jul-16 13:20:04

That will be tough dotdot, at least my DD will only be a 2hr car journey away. What a amazing experience for your DD tho.

dotdotdotmustdash Sun 31-Jul-16 14:59:19

It will be excellent and I didn't feel able to refuse when she started the process of applying. The leaving date is getting closer and closer and I'm dreading it more and more. We've been running around this week sorting out essentials like Contact lenses and dental visits and every time I tell a staff member what's happening I want to cry! Hopefully she'll get home in February for a couple of weeks so it won't be the whole year.

I'm so looking forward to her going to Uni in Scotland next Autumn and normal life can begin! There is an opportunity to apply next year for a 4yr scholarship in China but I'm definitely not going to support that!

Groovee Sun 31-Jul-16 18:50:11

I remember swanning off to work in America and not caring what anyone said! Now as a parent I realise I had great experiences but will struggle to let my own children do them!

Cheerfullygo4 Sat 13-Aug-16 22:58:47

dotdot My child also going on scholarship year to China. Sounds like the same one. Big step. Think most of them are planning to go travelling in Februsry. It's going to be a long year.

dotdotdotmustdash Sun 14-Aug-16 02:26:40

Cheerfullgo4, It most surely will be the same trip, especially if you were at the meeting in Glasgow last week?

Cheerfullygo4 Sun 14-Aug-16 09:26:52

We were at the meeting. Small world this mumsnet!

dotdotdotmustdash Sun 14-Aug-16 09:59:24

Sure is :-) You'll know me at the airport in a few weeks - I'll be the puddle of salty water on the floor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now