Recommendations for a weekend break near Glasgow

(6 Posts)
Tabsicle Thu 24-Mar-16 12:14:58

So, I have a long weekend coming up this weekend. DP and I were meant to be visiting friends, but that’s fallen through due to said friends being unwell. As I’ve booked Friday-Tuesday off work, I fancy doing something nice with it.

Is there anywhere in easy driving reach of Glasgow which might be worth it for a sneaky weekend break away? Currently I’m considering the Isle of Arran or Loch Lomond but I am sure there are loads of other lovely places I don’t know.

Any recommendations gratefully received.

Costacoffeeplease Thu 24-Mar-16 12:27:11

I'd go to Cameron house at Loch Lomond

gininteacupsandleavesonthelawn Thu 24-Mar-16 12:30:44

Second Cameron house

fishybits Thu 24-Mar-16 12:37:00

The Lomond Arms Hotel in Luss.

voluptuagoodshag Thu 24-Mar-16 12:39:59

Arran. There is something magical about getting a ferry, especially a Calmac one. It's really close to Glasgow and a short ferry journey but you feel like you are miles away. Stay at Auchrannie. They have a very posh hotel or the spa resort but you can use facilities in both. You don't even need to take the car. Leave it in Ardrossan and use the Auchrannie courtesy bus.

Other places on mainland - Oban (Manor House), Perth(shire) (Ballathie House, Royal Hotel in Comrie, Hydro or Cadrona in Peebles, Atholl Palace, Fonab Castle or Green Hotels in Pitlochry, anywhere in Trossachs though it can get busy with day trippers.

Tabsicle Fri 25-Mar-16 08:15:56

Arran it is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now