New BBC Scotland presenter - Ena Miller

(101 Posts)
Euphemia Mon 08-Feb-16 06:58:14

Has anyone seen her during BBC Breakfast? I think she just started last week.

She's a wee darling! She's obviously nervous, and trying so hard! smile

DameDancealot Mon 08-Feb-16 07:58:31

Yes, she is a sweetheart and slowly settling in now

Wellthatsit Mon 08-Feb-16 08:00:23

She's a bit rubbish if you ask me. But hopefully she will improve.

ootsideinbacktaefront Mon 08-Feb-16 08:09:01

AW she made me feel all motherly, wee soul.

LizzieMacQueen Mon 08-Feb-16 10:25:12

What's her accent? It's from the north, Orkney maybe?

I thought she was good - asking us to enjoy our morning until the next update in 30 minutes.

OneMagnumisneverenough Mon 08-Feb-16 18:57:46

accent? - weegie.

It's like watching Newsround or CBeebies, seems nice enough but way way out her depth. If that's the best that BBC scotland can offer then we are in a really bad place.

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Mon 08-Feb-16 19:04:53

She's not quite got the 'gravitas' of a newsreader but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I'm neutral at the moment. I like her accent as it's like mine grin

Lightbulbon Mon 08-Feb-16 19:06:37

Give her a break!

Were you all perfect at your first week in a new job??

OneMagnumisneverenough Mon 08-Feb-16 19:09:56

Probably not Lightbutton but she should have acquired a bit of skill in the job prior to being launched on National tv. I don't blame her, I blame bbc management. They've possibly harmed her long term career as no-one would hire her based on that tbh.

I have no issue with the accent, it's being spoken to as if I am either 4 years old or hard of thinking that I don't enjoy.

ssd Mon 08-Feb-16 19:37:47

I think shes not very good, sorry

Lucidlady Mon 08-Feb-16 19:49:20

I was at school with her. She has spent many years in journalism up to now, on tv and radio, but nothing quite this high profile. She's a lovely, very bright woman - give her a chance!

Justmuddlingalong Mon 08-Feb-16 19:58:13

A new Scottish newsreader really unsettles me. It takes me ages to warm to them, so I'm holding judgment for a while. It was a long time before Catriona Shearer's cheery " Bye for now" stopped giving me the rage.

ssd Mon 08-Feb-16 20:12:43

I just wish she'd stop talking in a little girl voice or as if shes reading to a little girl

prettybird Mon 08-Feb-16 21:12:30

Dh remembers Sally McNair's first newscast. He said she came across similarly amateurish on the first few weeks and gradually got more polished.

You can already see the improvement in Ena after just a week.

It's also amazing how you get used to different voices/accents. I hated Carol What's-her-name on Gardener's World when she first started. Now I don't even notice her accent and strange voice.

Behooven Tue 09-Feb-16 08:02:46

Sorry but I think it's like listening to a school radio. The little girl tone of voice and so many mistakes too. BBC Scotland are amateurish.

ssd Tue 09-Feb-16 08:14:11

after reading this thread I was trying to think of who she reminds me of when she talks....then it came to me....my primary one school teacher at reading time, we'd all sit on the carpet and she'd sit on a chair and read out a book to us, very earnestly and in a soft voice...its ok when you are 5 but not now

Wellthatsit Tue 09-Feb-16 08:31:44

All the 'bless her','give her a break' comments are a bit patronising, are they not?
She maybe bright and experienced in journalism but that is translating to the screen.

ssd Tue 09-Feb-16 13:46:40

agree, I'm sure she's everything people are saying but she comes across as embarrassingly unprofessional.

QueenLaBeefah Tue 09-Feb-16 13:48:13

It is like listening to my 10yr old reading his homework but (but TBH he is better)

She's crap.

Lucidlady Tue 09-Feb-16 16:26:11

I think I'd rather be patronising than just mean-spirited, which is how a lot of these comments are coming across. I'm sure we were all less than amazing in our first weeks in a new job, so yes, let her settle in and see how she gets on.

OneMagnumisneverenough Tue 09-Feb-16 16:33:36

Lucid - yes she is rubbish, yes she might get better, but the issue is that the BBC have put her live on air doing the national news when she just isn't up to the job at the moment.

It is basically dismissive of the viewing public and is harmful to the girl's career.

She should have been given another slot or more off screen practice or some non live tv before being put on the live prime time breakfast show.

It's embarrassing for everyone involved.

Behooven Tue 09-Feb-16 17:50:07

I'd rather be honest than patronising or sanctimonious.

ssd Tue 09-Feb-16 22:18:41

agree, she has been out in a position she shouldn't be in, its not fair to her either.

and its got nothing to do with being mean spirited FFS

QueenLaBeefah Tue 09-Feb-16 22:23:38

I just turn over when she come on. It is just cringeworthy.

ssd Tue 09-Feb-16 22:25:08

its embarrassing for Scotland too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now