Any primary supply teachers out there?

(8 Posts)
faintlyoptimistic Wed 04-Nov-15 21:20:13

What's it really like?

And would I be mad to give up a permanent part time post for a part time supply post?!

BelindaBagwash Thu 05-Nov-15 22:54:16

Depends how much supply work is likely to be available. We are desperately short of supply staff and you could probably work almost full time. Advantage - not being tied to school holidays

TheTroubleWithAngels Fri 06-Nov-15 19:36:45

YY, there don't seem to be any supply teachers in the central belt shock You'd be doing it at the right time of year. We're seriously worried about getting through the inevitable winter illnesses.

It's a big drop in pay though. Stressful in a different way too- going into different staff rooms, being new all time et etc.

faintlyoptimistic Sat 07-Nov-15 06:44:48

Yes, I thought it'd be stressful in a different way... I'm currently doing a huge amount of overtime - almost full time hours. I'm trying to weigh up whether supply stresses would be better than so much overtime and class teacher stresses as well!

Don't mind the pay drop... If I got a non-teaching p/t job (also a consideration), it'd pay less.

BelindaBagwash Sat 07-Nov-15 16:27:48

The drop in salary would easily be outweiged by the removal of planning, parents evenings, staff meetings and all the other shit obligations that permanent staff have to put up with.

People think we work from 9-3 and have loads of holidays, but the reality is that it's SO inflexible, I can't go to various social events, concerts, cheap holidays etc due to this.

TheTroubleWithAngels Sat 07-Nov-15 18:54:55

Yes but you also have to consider going into the unknown every day, waiting for phone calls, putting up with supply teacher behaviour and winging it to some extent every day.

I know I couldn't do it <shrug>

Anyway, OP, could you not give yourself six months or even a year doing supply? Unless we boat in hundreds of teachers from somewhere, I think you could reasonably either go back to permanent if you wanted to.

Euphemia Sun 29-Nov-15 10:31:52

I did supply for a few years and hated it. I don't understand people who find it less stressful! I hated going into the unknown, not knowing if work would have been left, would the kids be nice, the feeling of not belonging anywhere, not being involved in school-wide things, staffrooms where no-one spoke to me, being messed about/double-booked by the council, I could go on!

chickenk Wed 03-Feb-16 19:02:13

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now