any loans/grants/help avail in Scotland for person with disability wanting to start own business?

(8 Posts)
iHAVEtogetoutofhere Wed 20-May-15 13:34:25

Just wanted to ask -

Friend has had mobility difficulties for ages. Hopes end is in sight.
Wants to return to workplace after protracted absence.
Little work avail in locality.

Wants to start own business selling items online (as did before illness).

Local jobcentre says: 'no help or advice available'.
Local small business gateway seems to say the same. sad

Is that right?
Is there anywhere he could turn for some advice or help accessing funding / support, please?

HirplesWithHaggis Wed 20-May-15 13:39:29

When I saw the title, I thought, "Ah, Business Gateway!" but he's already tried that, I see. Has he tried any banks? Some have helpful advisors.

OOAOML Wed 20-May-15 13:40:07

Which area of Scotland are they in? Our council has a portal on their website with different funding organisations. They also run regular events called 'meet the funders' - there are lots of different trusts and businesses out there offering funding to groups and individuals with wildly differing criteria and amounts. It can be hard to muddle through all the data.

iHAVEtogetoutofhere Wed 20-May-15 13:47:56

OOAOML - I will pm you re area, if that's ok?

It is a business selling generic Scottish products (on web so potentially) worldwide that he wants to be in so would hope there might be some support.

It is £ - of course - as he has no savings after a protracted period of being unable to work - but also confidence that he needs, as he has suffered isolation and depression and is scared of going 'back out there'.

OOAOML Wed 20-May-15 14:08:27

No problem, iHAVE. Might not be able to help but I've done a bit of digging for grants for school stuff and know there's a lot of sources out there just tricky to find sometimes. Hopefully will be something.

wearenotinkansas Wed 20-May-15 21:39:51

How about Jobs and Business Glasgow? They will give grants i think for website development depending on the business.

This link might be of interest
business.scotland.gov.uk/funding

StillFrankie Fri 22-May-15 20:40:58

Princes Trust, depending on age.

dementedma Wed 15-Jul-15 20:54:28

If friend is ex-military Forth Valley Chamber of Commerce run a programme called ViNE ( veterans into new enterprise) and they may be able to help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now