considering move to city centre Glasgow - where?

(33 Posts)
textfan Tue 12-May-15 20:55:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

prettybird Tue 12-May-15 23:11:44

Renting or buying?

Is your dd planning on changing school or going to college? Would she be going into S5 if she's staying on at school?

Redglitter Tue 12-May-15 23:15:59

You'd probably be as well staying in Paisley. There's really no quiet places in the city centre. Prices are higher too. If you're near to a station I'd avoid the city centre completely

textfan Wed 13-May-15 00:00:04

Jackieharris Wed 13-May-15 06:35:44

It would have to be an emergency situation to move a pupil at such a crucial stage in the education!

If she's in 4 the year just now (doing her nat 5s if she's thinking of Uni, I presume?) then she will be starting the higher syllabus as soon as exam leave is over won't she? This is the worst time possible to move school. Private schools don't even accept new entrants at this stage.

prettybird Wed 13-May-15 14:29:00

I agree - unless the school she is at is really bad, it's a disruptive time to change schools.

The Nat 5 to Highers curriculum is supposed to be much more integrated with less of a step change than Standard grades to Highers, so that might help.

StaceyAndTracey Wed 13-May-15 18:03:48

I agree,madness to move now when you daughter is two weeks away from starting 5th year. They really don't have long until the higher prelims .

Most parenst are really focussed on their children education at this stage . and are realistic about finding a " lovely area with great community spirit, cheap housing and good schools in the city centre " .

You say you are " hoping " to do a post grad course - do you mean you dont have a place yet ?

expatinscotland Wed 13-May-15 18:06:06

Somewhere handy for uni will generally have a lot of students and be expensive as they have parents for guarantors or even to buy them a flat.

StaceyAndTracey Wed 13-May-15 18:06:25

Pretty bird - my child head of year said there is still a big jump , especially in maths and chemistry . Of course the poor teachers are just getting to grip with the curriculum changes as well

textfan Wed 13-May-15 18:30:39

kua Wed 13-May-15 18:41:10

At first read I presumed that your DD would stay at her current school. I take it that's not what you are looking to do?

Unless, as said above there are serious issues with the current school. I would not do this. I have a DS of the same age and it would have to be something really serious for me to contemplate this.

Could you not hold on for a year or two?

kua Wed 13-May-15 18:43:10

Sorry, been a long day. So, she is currently doing her Nat 5s now?

kua Wed 13-May-15 18:58:57

Sorry again! What I should have said was, Is she doing her Nat 5 exams now? The moving into S4 this term has confused me.

textfan Wed 13-May-15 19:24:41

StaceyAndTracey Wed 13-May-15 19:28:53

Is your daughter at a private school then ? Because the refrewshire schools don't move into the next year until 2 June < confused >

prettybird Wed 13-May-15 19:32:39

If she is just at the end of S3 (even if they've started the S4 timetable), then that is more do-able. I came back from NZ 6 months before my O Grades and coped but I was very clever back then even if I say so myself wink

The challenge at the moment though is that different schools are implementing CfE differently - so for example, ds' school is doing it over 2 years (so started their Nat 5 curriculum at the end of S2) in order to allow the kids to do 8 Nat 5s if they were capable. Ds' English teacher told me in no uncertain terms she's a very scary lady that ds had to have his study notes from this year well organised as she won't be repeating stuff next year shock

prettybird Wed 13-May-15 19:40:20

StaceyandTracey - just shows that the new exams are taking time to bed in (for both teachers and pupils). Both ds' Chemistry and Geography teachers have said that the Nat 5 is more advanced than a Standard Grade - but they may just have meant that in the sense that the thinking required is closer to Higher thinking.

His Maths teacher is concentrating on ensuring that all of the close are consistently in 90s in their tests.

He moves on to the S4 timetable at the beginning of June too. Not sure how different it will be though, given that they made their choices last year - but I suppose of some kids are struggling/only want to do Nat 4, then it allows for some shuffling.

StaceyAndTracey Wed 13-May-15 19:49:05

I know pretty bird, I thought the nat 5 were supposed to be a bit harder ,so there was less of a jump for them < confused > . But it's the first year her school have done nat 5 so it's new to everyone .

Same here with maths - 4th year Dds teacher has had them doing higher maths work since he finished the nat 5 curriculum in February . He's worried they won't have time to get through it if they don't start until June . I don't think it's even 20 week until the higher prelims < scary >

( maths is the top department in their school so I think he's worried about losing his place in the league wink)

prettybird Wed 13-May-15 20:21:41

One of the boys in ds' class is sitting Nat 5 Maths this year shock - I think he got the top mark in the prelim shockshock he is prodigously talented though wink

StaceyAndTracey Wed 13-May-15 20:28:48

Well it IS a very good school grin

StaceyAndTracey Wed 13-May-15 20:35:01

I didn't think we did " talented " here in Scotland

I keep spotting threads on Mumsnet saying things like

" how will we cope, our genius daughter is sitting 9GCSEs , we have never known such talent , should she go straight to her post grad degree after 6th form ? "

And I don't like to tell them that about a quarter of the kids at our local comp are doing the same . I think it's called " reasonably bright " here

prettybird Wed 13-May-15 20:39:47

wink

cazzyg Thu 14-May-15 04:38:45

Having lived right in the city centre, I wouldn't again. We lasted 6 months before moving out.

Parking was a nightmare and if you could get parked, often we'd go to fetch the car in the morning to find discarded takeaway food, puke & other bodily fluids. Council tax was really high too.

It was also really noisy and we had people peeing in the street, taking drugs etc. Lots of buy to let properties and very little community.

we thought it would be fab, lots of bars, restaurants etc on the doorstep but the reality fell well short. We had also just moved from London having spent some time living in Camden so we were very used to cities.

rootypig Thu 14-May-15 04:56:44

Stacey grin

ProcessYellowC Thu 14-May-15 05:26:49

I lived in Strathclyde's student halls - amazing place right in the city centre and I think Strathclyde does do family living accommodation that may be worth checking out - though not sure that would take you away from other students...

Almost everyone else commuted in from somewhere by train/car (except those that lived around Hillhead, but they were confused souls grin). Paisley is relatively close compared to some of the distances involved: many of the people on my course still stayed with their parents.

Sorry - I would have liked to help you and answer the bloody question BUT Glasgow city centre is tiny, and like most city centres around uk/europe your wishlist is just not realistic.

If money were no object and I was after a little pied-a-terre I'd go for the Merchant City in a heartbeat - used to love it round there (conveniently ignores the realities set out by cazzyg).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now