we've been bat spotting.

(6 Posts)
megletthesecond Sat 24-Sep-16 22:12:55

Lovely evening with a local expert who had the sonar listening gadgets and a whizzy app on his iPad.

We were able to listen to them flying in to feed on insects over a stream and follow them with a powerful torch.

And the kids got some cake out of it. So everyone is happy smile. Now I'm off to see how much the detectors cost.

TheWoollybacksWife Sat 24-Sep-16 22:23:15

Sounds lovely. My local country park does something similar but without the cake sad

I can bat watch from my sofa as my next door neighbour has bats in his belfry roof space and it is fascinating to see them fly out (like the beginning of Scooby Doo) and swoop over our gardens on the hunt for insects at dusk.

megletthesecond Sat 24-Sep-16 22:49:09

Aaaw. I'd like some batty neighbours. The local ones fly over if I put laundry out in the evening but they come from nearby parks.

misson Wed 26-Oct-16 21:37:29

Bat detectors aren't expensive. Didn't know about the app though. Does that tell you the species? We have at least two species. Can pick them up on the bat detector, which the kids love, but can only manage 'big bat' and 'small bat'.

TyrannosauraRegina Thu 03-Nov-16 20:59:54

The bat detector apps aren't that good yet - it told us we had spotted a vampire bat in the south of France!

misson Thu 03-Nov-16 21:12:48

Wow, that would be something! Not sure we have had vampires.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now