Margarine linked to divorce?

(16 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

meditrina Mon 26-May-14 21:54:58

BBC article on the difference between correlation and causation

Handy if you ever find yourself needing to explain this (to explode Bad Science - or bad science reporting).

meditrina Tue 27-May-14 08:44:00

They also noted a correlation between the age of Miss America and deaths by steam and hot vapour.

Nocomet Tue 27-May-14 09:10:58

DH noticed this, we decided it was evidence you have to butter up your DH.

BetterWithCheese Tue 27-May-14 09:24:28

That's a great link, thanks.

BoreOfWhabylon Tue 27-May-14 12:36:36

It is indeed a great link - have added to 'favourites' for future use as evidence that correlation does not necessarily = causation.

Thanks meditrina

meditrina Tue 27-May-14 15:33:41

" ... it was evidence you have to butter up your DH."

grin

meditrina Tue 27-May-14 18:19:33

(Might have gremlins. Posting again to try it out)

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 28-May-14 10:56:41

Testing testing 1-2 1-2

Just spotted this on a taat and it's just my sort of thread.
I think it provides strong evidence that margarinr shouldbe banned and I plan to start a petition. Will you all sign?

Revised Thu 29-May-14 10:36:48

I can well believe margarine is a cause of divorce - i witnessed years or bickering between my parents in the 70s over whether they should by cheaper "healthy" margarine or expensive, tasty butter that was going to give us all heart disease. So, the article doesn't demonstrate anything to my mind grin

SixImpossible Thu 29-May-14 10:46:57

Excellent! grin

Reminds me of my first statistics lecture at uni: the lecturer proved, using statistics, that the stork brought the baby.

Ooh id love to see that!

#banthemarg

meditrina Thu 29-May-14 10:54:54

(Rowan says Tech has had a fiddle so I am posting to see if this - and indeed every Science and Nature thread - does now appear in Active).

We dont really want to know what tech does in his or her breaks

meditrina Thu 29-May-14 12:32:47

There probably are causal links between Tech fiddling and MN going cranky. But I bet the correlation is weak.

BillnTedsMostFeministAdventure Wed 25-Jun-14 23:52:21

Cool link!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now