ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Science mad 8 year old. Need ideas to help stimulate....desperate!

(56 Posts)
DoItTooJulia Thu 20-Jun-13 11:17:48

Hoping you guys can help me out!

I have science mad 8 yo ds. He is particularly interested in chemistry, but any science, engineering, medical type stuff will do. I was vaguely scientific at school and my current career involves some food microbiology, so I can help him but only up to a point.

We have done every science kit available, he has dozens of science books, including ones on evolution and the latest Brian Cox offering. But he really wants to see a proper lab and do some more practical stuff.

What can I do?? I have seen techcamps but they are very expensive residentials for 9 years plus, so no good. He is now being alienated at school for being a geek and I really want him to be surrounded by like minded people or kids who will embrace this aspect of him! I really want to inspire him and support him, but I have drawn a blank. I am on maternity leave at the minute, so I have a whole six week holiday with him and I want to include some science activities. He has other interests, but science always wins out. I have booked us onto a university open day to see if there is a tour of the labs available and I have checked the holiday programme at our local science museum....

Any ideas or anyone else with experience of this??

mamababa Fri 21-Jun-13 08:25:28

Magna is really good (can do it on Tesco vouchers too and get 2 for 1's online) its a science museum in the old steelworks building and divided into 4 areas - earth, air, water and fire. Eureka! In Halifax is also good.

What about doing some science experiments at home like lighting a bulb with a lemon, getting lemon juice/vinegar and some bicarbonate of soda (nice and foamy) candles under a glass jar in a bowl of water?

Let's play spot the tragic MNer with a chemistry degree grin. I went to Aston Uni they do loads of science courses might show you the labs or you could ring some local companies?

DoItTooJulia Fri 21-Jun-13 08:27:23

Hey mama, I have emailed Aston, to see if they will give us a tour! Fingers crossed!

TheDoctrineOfAllan Tue 02-Jul-13 20:21:31

If you're down Cambridge way ever, there's a small science centre on Jesus Lane full of experimental stations for kids.

DoItTooJulia Wed 03-Jul-13 10:30:18

This to everyone for their help! I have an update...I have found that tomorrow's Achievers run master classes in Birmingham! I missed the last one, but they will be running them again next term. The one we missed was.....chemistry! Would you believe it??

The classes a ideal, run in national curriculum age grows, so he would be with other like minded and similar aged kids, so a total winner!

Should probably link to it: www.tomorrowsachievers.co.uk/

DoItTooJulia Wed 03-Jul-13 10:52:18

Thanks not this!

DoItTooJulia Wed 03-Jul-13 10:53:24

Oh, full of typos! iPads gone mad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now