Rocks! Please help dd with these rocks!

(6 Posts)
CairngomRockHunter Sun 26-May-13 13:24:51

Please can someone help dd and I work out what these rocks are. We have looked up quite a few identification charts, but we're a bit stuck. I've put photos on my profile.

So far we think ...
3. Schist.
4. Marble or Quartz
6. Iron ore

Thanks grin

CairngomRockHunter Sun 26-May-13 14:04:48

Bit of an epic fail ... can't load photos on my profile, so thread with photos on is here ....
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/have_you_seen_pictures/1764994-Rock-identifiers-please-come-and-help-here?msgid=39307906#39307906

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 28-May-13 08:59:59

Hi CRH

Am not a rock person but bumping for you, looks like you got some geologists on your other thread too, yay.

GeekLove Fri 12-Jul-13 22:42:20

Please can someone help dd and I work out what these rocks are. We have looked up quite a few identification charts, but we're a bit stuck. I've put photos on my profile.

So far we think ...
1. Quartz (I think with iron oxide (?)
2.Granite - plenty of feldspar
3. Schist.
4. Marble or Quartz
5. Possibly a conglomerate with quartz/calcite inclusions
6. Iron ore
7.Basalt
8. Sandstone
9. I think this is also Gneiss - highly metamorphosized sedimentary.
10.Gneiss

These are my best guesses since I have dabbled in geology and did consider doing it for a degree

NumptyNu Thu 08-Aug-13 19:47:25

Could 2 be a quartz feldspar porphyry? Difficult to tell from the pics.

NumptyNu Thu 08-Aug-13 19:49:02

Could 6 be a devonian sandstone or similar? Again, hard to see grain size from the pics, but that stuff is definitely red (from the iron content).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now