Sciencey toys/books for 5-year-old

(17 Posts)

It's my nephew's 5th birthday coming up and I'd like to get him something sciencey. Maybe something where he can do his own simple experiments. Does anyone have any ideas?

Olivermoliver Sun 03-Mar-13 08:51:36

Sorry I don't, but watching with interest as DS is 5 soon. He loves planets and things so have started to see if I can get anything to do with those.

Do they still make the 'Operation' game?

Try looking in a Hawkins Bazzar toy shop, they usually have good stuff. I was thinking maybe the excavate your own dinosaur toy?

GhostOfTheRobot Sun 03-Mar-13 08:57:03

The Science museum used to do some good toys. Not sure if they're for 5 yr olds but worth a look?
[www.thesciencemuseumshop.co.uk]

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sun 03-Mar-13 08:58:09

There's a children's science book thread in Science and Nature Club.

DS has a good toy from the Science Museum (available on the web too) that lights up and shows different planets.

GhostOfTheRobot Sun 03-Mar-13 08:58:20
RobotHamster Sun 03-Mar-13 09:00:11

Not a toy but have a look at the Usborne 'see inside' books. There is one about how things work, a space one, a body one - loads, and they're really good

TroublesomeEx Sun 03-Mar-13 09:01:14

There are quite a few Horrible Science kits. I'm not sure how good they are.

I bought the HS Bloody bones and body bits or something like that for stbxh's nephew last year. It had mixed reviews online but apparently he loved it.

We've got an Oxford First Science book and some Usborne What Makes it Rain? etc books which are quite good. No experiments but they do explain well.

How about a magnet set? Or a bug box so he can hunt stuff in the garden? I got my 5yo nephew kerplunk which is 5+ not really sciency, but fun!

jenduck Sun 03-Mar-13 09:09:04

Guinness Book of World Records! Full of fascinating facts (science & otherwise) & with the 2013 version, you can install an app where you hover your mobile over some of the pictures & they 'come to life'! My 4yo DS, 6yo DNephew & 8yo DNiece all love it!

Thank you - lots of good ideas here. My brother used to get the Guinness Book of Records every year for Christmas, so I'm sure he'd love that too!

I like the idea of a magnet set, or maybe something showing the planets etc.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sun 03-Mar-13 09:49:38

Charlie, do you mind if I ask for this to be moved to Science and Nature club so the gift ideas don't get lost?

No problem at all, Doctrine - although I started a thread on Science & Nature asking the same thing before I noticed your message just now.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sun 03-Mar-13 21:28:05

Thanks for moving it MNHQ!

Charlie, DS's toy is something like this:

www.sciencemuseumshop.co.uk/product/309240/astro-projector-torch.html

Doctrine, I love that torch!

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Wed 06-Mar-13 23:38:03

What did you get Charlie - or are you still thinking?

EmmelineGoulden Thu 07-Mar-13 14:48:11

Charlie I have my eye on this chemistry set for my 4 year olds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now