Live feed of asteroid near miss

(89 Posts)

Should be here with the closest approach at 7:25.

Tis a record breaking approach by an asteroid (that has been measured!) I almost (not being very awake) put hit in the title rather than near miss. Oops! It is coming within 28000 km well within the geostationary satellite belt.

So are we going to have a live mn watch? Apparently you can also see it with good binoculars as it approaches.

MarshaBrady Fri 15-Feb-13 19:55:07

Haha that's ok. Could've been surreal post asteroid effect!

That's true, it could have been a wobble in the magnetic flow <nods knowingly>

Not flow. Flux, you stupid machine.

MarshaBrady Fri 15-Feb-13 20:05:10

Everyone's names slightly different.

Reminds me of Twilight Zone when guy had to relearn language and dog was Wednesday. Great episode.

AnAirOfHope Fri 15-Feb-13 20:44:41

I have recurring nightmears about a big metor rain. The news today had me in bed at 7pm same as the kids because I wanted to just sleep thru it.

Glad its over until next time blush

oldsilver Fri 15-Feb-13 21:55:19

We are back - we went to the Mendips, no light pollution there. And, a big nothing - there was some cloud on the horizon just about where it ought to be and then a little later some mist came wafting across. DP decided not to take his telescope in the end and had just the binoculars. We did see the Milky Way though - haven't see that for a while, being in a city smile

We tried though and had a Olds Family Adventure. DP and DS did see a full moon though ... as I had a wee behind a tree grin

Awwwwww oldsilver, good try!

A few figures from yesterday's Russion meteorite hit.

NASA estimate that the object before it entered the atmosphere had a diameter of 17m and a mass of around 7000-10000 tons It was in the atmosphere for 32.5 seconds and released 500 kilotons of energy.

Russia say that more than 9000 workers are involved in the clean up. More than 1200 people were injured, mostly from flying glass.

I guess it's not surprising so many were injured by glass as there would have been time for everyone to rush to the window to look up at the huge trail it created before it exploded.

A truly remarkable event.

And I just remembered that there's a new science and nature topic I should have put this in!

AnAirOfHope Sat 16-Feb-13 14:41:48

<puts tinhat away for next time>

I think I read somewhere that NASA only look for really big meteors and that there are thousands of smaller ones that come to Earth that are not watched for.

I had no idea that it could explode and brake glass. puts plastic sheets on all windows

Shakes pompoms for science and nature topic thats cool.

AnAirOfHope Sat 16-Feb-13 14:50:27

The meteor that killed the dinos was 10km and had 100 million megatons of energy when it hit.

I've asked mn to move the thread, I hope they do!

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Tue 19-Feb-13 07:09:58

They did, hurrah! Thanks OYBBK. It's amazing how many people were hurt in Russia.

greenhill Tue 19-Feb-13 08:28:11

And did anyone see Jupiter clearly last night?

It was cloudy here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now