Live feed of asteroid near miss

(89 Posts)

Should be here with the closest approach at 7:25.

Tis a record breaking approach by an asteroid (that has been measured!) I almost (not being very awake) put hit in the title rather than near miss. Oops! It is coming within 28000 km well within the geostationary satellite belt.

So are we going to have a live mn watch? Apparently you can also see it with good binoculars as it approaches.

Anyway back to this evenings excitement. If you want to watch it with your own eyes. charts to help you find it.

Massively easier map here it should be at its brightest for us at around 19:50 when it is just to the left of Leo. You'll still need binoculars for it.

GloriaSnow Fri 15-Feb-13 16:37:03

Oooo the NASA live feed is working!

Timeforabiscuit Fri 15-Feb-13 16:38:37

Sorry Kitten - so if I look at the region of sky where the Chameleon constellation is that's sort of the right region?

Clear skies for many this evening, especially away from western and south eastern coasts. Some fog in the west sadly.

Cornycabernet Fri 15-Feb-13 16:38:55

which direction so we look in?

Look at Leo's bottom at around 8pm smile

Cornycabernet Fri 15-Feb-13 16:41:02

but how do I find Leo's bottom confused I'm rubbish at this

Timeforabiscuit Fri 15-Feb-13 16:42:44

Is anyone else having a Red Dwarf flashback where Lister is playing pool with planets...

Timeforabiscuit Fri 15-Feb-13 16:44:46

Ahh bum - the best view is out of the kids bedroom window sad

glitch Fri 15-Feb-13 16:45:04

Cornycabernet, Google Sky Maps (an app you can download onto your phone) is great for finding where stars and constellations are in the sky.

What's going on with the live stream, looks like a meteor shower or something! confused

Timeforabiscuit Fri 15-Feb-13 16:47:47

I've got starwalk for iPhone - It has mood music but doesn't show the asteroid.

Oh no, working again I think it just mirrorred the image lots of times.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be almost due east close to the horizon. By 9pm it will be closeish to Ursa major (the Big Dipper)

Best two links I can come up with (without an app) are big map

asteroid map

Cornycabernet Fri 15-Feb-13 16:52:04

thanks glitch and bad kitten
just remembered ds has a telescope in the attic - we can use that!

oldsilver Honduras Fri 15-Feb-13 16:58:54

I'm in! DP has just casually mentioned he may go out for a drive this evening at DS bedtime - he also might possible be loading his telescope into the car envy

GuffSmuggler Fri 15-Feb-13 17:08:34

Sorry to sound dumb, but I can't work out the charts - which general direction in the sky should I be looking NSE or W?

Guff, east, close to the horizon at about 8pm, but you'll need binoculars.

Oldsilver, that's mean, can you all not go out? Tis a special occasion!

oldsilver Honduras Fri 15-Feb-13 17:39:23

grin funny you should say that ... I've just suggested we go out for a family star gazery session and I am getting out the long johns as I type!!

So given what happened in Russia, how can we be sure that this " near miss" will actually be a miss?

GuffSmuggler Fri 15-Feb-13 17:50:36

Thanks ohyou I'll hunt for some binoculars!

Curlyhaired, the one in Russia hadn't been spotted, it was small and came unexpectedly. This one is much larger and they've been tracking it since it was discovered since last February, so they really do have a handle on its trajectory.

So it's not the end of the world then? phew

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now