Live feed of asteroid near miss

(89 Posts)

Should be here with the closest approach at 7:25.

Tis a record breaking approach by an asteroid (that has been measured!) I almost (not being very awake) put hit in the title rather than near miss. Oops! It is coming within 28000 km well within the geostationary satellite belt.

So are we going to have a live mn watch? Apparently you can also see it with good binoculars as it approaches.

And just to whet your appetite, it appears that there was an unrelated meteor/meteorite shower last night with spectacular results, breaking windows and shaking buildings as the meteor exploded over Siberia. There is footage here

7.25 am gmt?

Sparklingbrook Fri 15-Feb-13 07:23:41

2 minutes to go. Could it divert and get DS1 out of bed?

PseudoBadger Fri 15-Feb-13 07:25:46

Are we all still here? <looks around>

PseudoBadger Fri 15-Feb-13 07:28:44

It's tonight isn't it?

GloriaSnow Fri 15-Feb-13 07:30:25

Yes it's 7.25 pm ~ tonight!

Got distracted by footage of that meteor shower on you tube.

Did anyone see the live feed? Will it be on youtube later do you think?

Ah pm!

Good. Havent missed it!

Oops, forgot to type pm! I really am struggling to wake up this morning grin sorry!

GloriaSnow Fri 15-Feb-13 07:34:59

Reports about the meteor shower on the Guardian website here. (Check out the 2nd video with the sound! shock)

What with Pistorius sad , the Pope, with the lightning strike on the vatican, the horse meat stuff, North Korea exploding a nuclear thingy, the new coronavirus being found to be transmissible from person to person and now the exploding meteor and tonight's earth graze, it's been quite an interesting sort of week hasn't it!

Bloody hell Gloria shock

Dd reckons its the discovery of the new Mersenne prime causing all this confused

GloriaSnow Fri 15-Feb-13 07:44:41

With all this weeks events, I've come to the conclusion......we're doomed!
<puts on tin foil hat and hides under the table>

Shuffle up Gloria, I'm coming under too. I've got supplies <eyes rather dubious tinned meatballs>

GloriaSnow Fri 15-Feb-13 07:59:34

<Makes room. Grabs leftovers from fridge and many bottles of homemade wine teabags.>

Our Internet just went down shock

I can grab dhs barrel of home brew. We will be ok!!!

Well.
I guess I ought to go off to work. See you all this evening-hopefully..........

Wallace Fri 15-Feb-13 08:11:30

Thanks smile

headlesslambrini Italy Fri 15-Feb-13 08:22:47

amazing pictures.

<goes to panic buy> I'm getting a little low on loo rolls. grin

GloriaSnow Fri 15-Feb-13 11:48:25

Ahhhhhhh, forgot loo rolls! Leftovers, meatballs, wine and beer ~ nothing else needed!

More video on the BBC website.

shock just got home, at least 950 people injured by the meteorite.

crater left by meteorite

This comes so low down on bbc 24 and I don't know why, it's huge! Probably the most damaging meteorite in living history. They seem to have missed entirely putting any footage of the crater on.

Yeah, the videos on you tube are crazy. Windows smashing everywhere.

Its a pretty amazing thing to happen in terms of space etc. But all those people injured and all the damage it caused is really terrible.

Scrap that, it's not the crater! Naughty people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now