I have just realised why they call him PROFESSOR Brian Cox

(375 Posts)

blush

Yes I am that thick. There's another one blush and he's old and doesn't play keyboards.

Did you spot the stormtrooper at the side of the road, Freddie?

"a melon doesn't bounce"

PMSL literally

jamaisjedors Sat 16-Feb-13 08:49:17

thedoctrine - ahh thanks!

I think Gia was actually the better sport. grin

NicholasTeakozy Fri 15-Feb-13 19:48:18

Have some ex-presidential thanks from me too freddie. It's a very entertaining thread.

Gia, do please come on MN for a webchat.

Gee thanks <accepts flowers>

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Fri 15-Feb-13 18:14:11

Thanks for being a sport Freddie thanks

MavisGrind Fri 15-Feb-13 18:11:49

Good thread move freddie Glad to see it alive, well and it would seem immortal <rubs it in>.

I have had to demote myself. The expectation was too great and someone called me professor on another thread and it didn't seem right. smile

Well, obviously Grimma, mere Classics is so passe and last year.

GrimmaTheNome Fri 15-Feb-13 17:54:23

Being moved to Science&Nature is so much classier than mere Classics

grin well it was harmless and not meant maliciously grin and yes, I am thick and not a Professor

I'd like to see Gia on for a webchat

soaccidentprone Fri 15-Feb-13 17:34:31

Freddie

you are infamous (and a good sport despite some mild ribbing)

have a glass of wine

perhaps this will become common useage a 'freddieism'

soaccidentprone Fri 15-Feb-13 17:31:58

those YouTube clips are priceless.

let the thread stay forevergrin

Ponders Fri 15-Feb-13 16:55:55

"you would have to be a complete twat" at 1.25

makes me LOL every time

also this one

"all we knew was that it was red" at 0.30

he is v v v entertaining!

Ponders Fri 15-Feb-13 16:45:50

grin

Oh my goodness. This thread is going to haunt me hang around forever like a bad smell

blush grin

LineRunner Fri 15-Feb-13 16:10:27

I am verey pleased that there is a Science and Nature Club, and that Gia is now an early contributor.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 15-Feb-13 16:08:02

Hello. We're going to move this thread to Science and Nature Club at TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub's the OP's request.

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Thu 14-Feb-13 19:19:42

Congrats to MrJamais!

jamaisjedors Thu 14-Feb-13 19:09:04

lljk my DH is a professor (just qualified last week proud). He is 45. I work at a university and know of several professors younger than him.

PhD's etc. tend to take fewer years for scientists (3 rather than 4-5 for "literary" subjects.)

LaQueen Thu 14-Feb-13 18:37:17

I fell in luff with Prof Cox, when he made that brilliant observation regarding the Muppets who buy into all that astrology nonsense:

"People who believe in astrology, clearly just aren't very good at thinking'

Genius smile

ToomuchWaternotWine Thu 14-Feb-13 15:48:17

trills that is brilliant! About Sunshine.

foslady Thu 14-Feb-13 10:16:03

Don't know if GiaGia is still about, but if you are, have you seen I fucking Love Science on Facebooks valentines post - great drawing of Mr GiaGia in amongst some of the other scientists with a valentines message!

OscarPistoriusBitontheside Thu 14-Feb-13 09:16:12

GiaGia thanks for being in the thread, and a bloody good sport. When will he be back on campus and does he for open lectures? I'd definitely attend! (Doesn't study physics, but does study history and proudly totes a purple bag with his name on it, available from the library for a mere £3!)

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Thu 14-Feb-13 08:54:27

Yeah, I know one who is a similar age to MrGia - and he's had a second career strand for years and years too.

But there are professors specifically of scientific communication Etc - Richard Dawkins was Oxford's Professor for Public Understanding of Science for years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now