children's books on Science

(12 Posts)
nickelbabe Thu 24-Jan-13 11:22:31

Hello!

by request, i'm starting a thread on books for children about science

all the books i'm recommending are linked to www.hive.co.uk for purchase (but other bookshops are available, or your local library of course)
the reason i'm linking to Hive is because commission goes to your nearest independent bookshop (or nominated one) smile

Body:
see inside your body
this is one of a series of Usborne books, aimed at KS1/2.
it's lift-the-flap, so if you want to know more about a body part, there's more info under the flap.

Sick!
one of the Horrible Science series, this book has got some disgusting and gruesome facts about the human body, disease, medicine and surgery. it's got a bit of history in it, including what Egyptians did with tortoise brains!
KS2

Outside In - Human Body
it's a DK book (KS2)
again, it's lift-the-flap. it's a friendly format and asks lots of quite gross questions about what happens in the body, like teeth and poo and blood, gross but fun. it's got a squidgy eye on the cover and a big poster inside.

nickelbabe Thu 24-Jan-13 11:22:54

feel free to add your own recommendations!

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 24-Jan-13 11:30:14

Thank you so much Nickelbabe thanks

nickelbabe Thu 24-Jan-13 11:33:25

Space

DK guide to space
KS2 again. This book is jammed full of space facts, and the best thing about this series is that it's all colour photographs - which means that for space, there are some amazing images from telescopes and satellites.

sun moon and stars
this Usborne book is a beginners' one, which means it's aimed at KS1. it's got easy to read text and lots of facts about the stars for such a small boom

spotter's cards - things to see in the night sky
usborne again- this series is genius. it's a pack of cards, where each card has got a description on one side and loads of facts on the other. perfect for moon-watching or playing quiz games with friends.

i-spy in the night sky
one of the famous i-spy books. basically a tick guide for all the things you might see in the sky at night.
cheap and pocket-sized, perfect for astronomers.

nickelbabe Thu 24-Jan-13 11:33:38

s'orright smile

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Wed 30-Jan-13 08:07:10

DS1 (age 5) is enjoying the Junior Encyclopedia by Belinda Gallagher, and I introduced him to the concept of Looking Something Up in it the other day! (unfortunately although it did indeed have a labelled picture of a bird, it didn't show where the ears were, so I will have to resort to the Internet after all!)

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Wed 30-Jan-13 08:13:35

He also enjoyed this one last year, The Sun and The Moon, it is a Big Cat book so part of the phonics scheme:
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0007235976

The sun and the moon face across each double page and contrasting facts about each are listed.

The Usborne Sun Moon And Stars book looks good, thanks. And I want to know what the Egyptians did with tortoise brains!

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 18-Apr-13 08:59:16

Nickel (and everybody!) DS will be six this summer, he's on orange band books at present. He has got really into nature programmes on TV like Deadly 60 but also David Attenborough. I would like to give some book ideas to my mum for his birthday (mum will buy from local bookshop grin) and if he could read them himself, so much the better.

Any thoughts?

EmmelineGoulden Fri 19-Apr-13 07:53:31

Usborne - Look Inside: Your Body similar to the See Inside Your Body that nicklebabe posted, but (I think) for slightly younger kids. Lots of flaps again. Has been keeping a couple of four year olds fascinated over Easter.

louisianablue2000 Sun 28-Jul-13 09:04:06

The Watcher is a gorgeous picture book explaining Jane Goodall's work in simple language. I do wish we had more scientific biographies like this for kids, A Mighty Girl has lots of them in the States but they don't seem to be sold in the UK to the same extent.

louisianablue2000 Sun 28-Jul-13 09:06:45
TheDoctrineOfSanta Fri 06-Dec-13 11:23:57

I didn't know Stephen Hawking had collaborated on a fiction series about science for kids: Thread in Education

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now