Who are your favorite scientist(s), and why?

(15 Posts)
sciencelover Tue 22-Jan-13 17:31:14

Two of mine:

Henrietta Leavitt: In a day when the sciences were dominated by men, with women intentionally disadvantaged and denied privileges given to their peers, she made the discovery that later allowed Hubble to determine that the "clouds" in the sky were indeed separate galaxies, to calculate how far away from the earth they were and, subsequently, that the universe is expanding.

Einstein: Einstein was obviously a brilliant man. His discoveries revolutionized the way we see the world. Even though he never accepted quantum mechanics, his work in trying to prove it wrong led to important realizations, like entanglement, which may allow us to enter a completely new age of technology if we can figure out how to fully harness its potential.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 22-Jan-13 19:01:26

Ooh good idea. Will be back.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Wed 23-Jan-13 09:49:29

Jocelyn Bell Burnell who discovered the first four pulsars (rapidly rotating neutron stars that are now used for tests of general relativity and were displayed on the map that went on the Voyager probes to triangulate the position of Earth) but who didn't share in the Nobel Prize for their discovery.

AbigailAdams Thu 24-Jan-13 00:06:07

Rosalind Franklin was incredibly hard done by and her work was stolen and passed off as Crick and Watts. So I have a soft spot for her.

And I am always a little in awe of Newton and how he even thought of the question "Why did the apple fall down from the tree?". That was the genius part.

SafetyBubble Thu 24-Jan-13 01:02:52

Alongside Newton and the apple, I've always been tickled by the story of the realistion of the structure of the Benzene ring by Friedrich August Kekulé von Stradonitz, in a dream.

Re Newton, there is a tree in the Botanic Gardens in Cambridge which is said to be genetically identical to the one which dropped an apple on dear Isaac.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 24-Jan-13 08:51:55

J Robert Oppenheimer who oversaw the Los Alamos program. As a piece of scientific development in a short space of time, it was an incredible piece of human achievement (as was Bletchley and the first moon landing). It shows we can do if the cleverest people are all put together and given a single goal.

<wonders about a five year scientist lock-up to solve global warming>

doyouwantfrieswiththat Fri 25-Jan-13 16:01:23

I've just realised I don't have a favourite scientist but I do admire DP's dad who's the only scientist I've met who got to name a chemical phenomena.

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Fri 25-Jan-13 17:31:02

Oh that's cool!

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Fri 01-Mar-13 01:13:09

Cool scientist tribute posters:
posters/

Thanks to LordCopper

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Fri 01-Mar-13 22:12:33

Charles Darwin simply because the extrapolation of natural selection can be applied to pretty much everything that evolves from animals to ideas to methods. One of the most important discoveries of humankind!

sciencelover Wed 06-Mar-13 17:13:17

I like to remember and recognize scientists that were grossly under-appreciated in their day. An example is Lise Meitner, who should have won a nobel prize for her work in helping to "split the atom". She had to flee her home and her work because she was of Jewish descent. Her name was intentionally left off of the paper announcing the discovery because her colleagues were afraid of Hitler. Her former partner won the nobel prize for that work.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Wed 06-Mar-13 23:35:05

Thanks, that's interesting and sad

LittlePushka Thu 07-Mar-13 00:08:35

Thomas Edison, whar a guy!! Staggeringly prolific and single handedly (lab technicians acknowledged!) responsible for so many inventions which define the way we live now; i wish I could raise him from the dead and show him his brilliant legacy and thank him for changing the world.

Oh, and Beaker out of The Muppets...underated lab assistant whose expression remain enduringly hilarious and whose experiments should be compulsory viewing on the science curriculum from reception level to PhD. The man puppet is inspirational grin

LittlePushka Thu 07-Mar-13 00:20:40

PS In further praise of Beaker (and lab assistants everehere) I also think Dr Bunsen was nothing without him,.... nothing.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sat 27-Apr-13 09:30:25

There's a program on bbc2 on Friday 3rd may about Marie Curie. It's at 9pm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now