Make me a list of things to do!

(16 Posts)
pugsandseals Fri 31-Jul-09 14:06:35

Ok, I'm being brave & making one of the first conversations on a new board- be gentle with me!
My question is, what do you intend to do with the kids this summer which will help them once back at school? DD is 7
On our list so far:-
Hama beads- to break a big task into lots of little ones
Music practise- to make the connection between pitches on piano/recorder/voice etc
Learn to ride a bike
Tieing shoe laces
Ball games for co-ordination
Obviously lots of fun too smile
Can anyone think of any other things to make next school year easier?

pugsandseals Fri 31-Jul-09 15:50:33

Bump

OmicronPersei8 Fri 31-Jul-09 15:54:09

D0 something really fun at the end of the school holidays so she can write about something on the first day back. smile

I think just doing stuff together, talking to her, doing a few new things will be enough. Ooh, and sharing books - just nice ones from the library will do.

BlueKangerooWonders Fri 31-Jul-09 15:56:09

Lots of baking - practice numbers, weighing, etc, then rolling out biscuits to help finger stuff. Also shop for it beforehand, after looking in recipe books. It's all there!

ZZZenAgain Fri 31-Jul-09 16:02:56

well actually I don't think we're doing anything this year "which will help them once back at school" tbh, although we have done in previous years. If your dd has problems with anything specific like maths, telling the time, hand-writing, I might look at that, so any problems are ironed out before she goes back.

We do so much during the school year in addition to school tbh that I am a bit worn out and need a break! Dd did get all enthused the other day saying "let's do a bird project mum!" I did register it but have not as yet acted on it as such. Just borrowed a book on birds from the library. we'll see, she's reading heaps and I am trying to catch up a bit on cleaning tbh.

Well armed with knee pads, elbow pads and even hand pads, we have been trying to master the skateboard (not doing great). Doesn't really count as a school thing. The other thing we've been mucking about a bit with is table tennis. We were lucky that an old granny in the park came up and showed us how to hold the racquets/bats properly and gave us a couple of tips because we were apparently doing it all wrong.

pugsandseals Fri 31-Jul-09 16:09:49

LOL at the sharing books thing!
That's something else we should work at although I'm not sure how- DD has an obsession with starting books/projects and having loads on the go at the same time hmm
Wish I knew how to handle that one!
Zen, I think skateboarding will help at school as it's all co-ordination type stuff!
Love the bird project one too- might do a butterfly one as there are so many on our buddlia at the moment!
Keep them coming...

phiex Fri 20-Jan-12 14:34:02

i can suggest this site it will tell you some things to do in your region and you can select what age group !
http://www.wamki.com/

Beanbagz Tue 21-Feb-12 14:44:20

Climb a hill (great for building up stamina)
Help her plan/cook a meal once a week
Take a photograph a day and put together an album
Write a diary (pick only the interesting days)
Make a scrapbook of your holidays (include photos/drawings/tickets & maps from days out)

avenueone Tue 12-Jun-12 13:44:19

I don't have anything to add just wanted to say great post - going to pinch lots of these ideas - thank you ladies. x

AChickenCalledKorma Sun 08-Jul-12 22:29:29

We are working our way through 50 things to do by the time you are 11 3/4

Not going away on holiday this year, so we are also planning to get around to visiting some of the tourist attractions that are within about 20 miles of home, which we normally never get round to seeing.

And slobbing around the house in pyjamas, obviously. That's what the summer holidays are for.

legohouse Tue 10-Jul-12 20:01:33

so far we have -

library

beach (we are in cornwall)

bike hire

swimming

rock climbing centre

rockpooling

scrapbooking

scateparks

woods

baking

bedroom camping (we live in a flat lol)

horse riding

picnics

fruit picking,followed by smoothy making!

carboot sales

smile

Playingwithbuses Wed 11-Jul-12 11:16:14

dam building at beach, river, stream or local open sewer.

pooh sticks, making wee boats out of leaves.

photograpghy quest, like scavenger hunt but they have to get pics.

sarahweb Mon 30-Jul-12 15:50:48

Hi Pugsandseals,

You need to do some googling as well. Coming up with ideas all the time is hard work but sometimes the simple stuff is the best.

RM at Home's facebook page posted a good article today on this. Blatently distracted at work today!

morethanpotatoprints Sat 04-Aug-12 22:34:50

we are doing
library reading challenge (3 books, reviews and certificate)
the usual daily music practice.
Internet searches (whatever takes her fancy)
cbbc fun and games
scrapbook
pinics in the park
collecting bugs/rainfall etc (garden stuff inc mud pies)
Beech and/or sandpit
keeping a diary
DD is 8

Merrin Mon 11-Mar-13 18:13:23

Thought I would resurrect this for the Easter holidays:

crabbing/beach scavenge
Visit a castle
Visit a National Trust House and do the quiz
Research films to watch on the internet
Go to the cinema
Write a film review

SirEdmundFrillary Mon 11-Mar-13 18:15:35

'Can anyone think of any other things to make next school year easier? '

No.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now