Should I really have to request an authorised absence for the last lesson of half term?

(12 Posts)
dollybird Tue 18-Oct-16 09:43:01

I know it's not going to be authorised but apparently we still have to fill in the form giving the reason why we are asking for an authorised absence. I wrote a letter to inform school that DC would need to leave at lunchtime (they only have one lesson after lunch) but apparently that's not good enough. If I said they had the dentist or a hospital appt that would be fine but I'm not about to start getting my kids to lie to get time off school. We've filled in the form now but it's just annoying for one lesson and the form isn't relevant as we know the absence won't be authorised!

dodobookends Tue 18-Oct-16 09:54:38

What's the reason for needing to leave early?

dollybird Tue 18-Oct-16 09:57:18

We're going on a cruise over half term and it sails Friday afternoon

mouldycheesefan Tue 18-Oct-16 10:01:50

If you let them attend Friday afternoon registration and then pick them up they are marked in and you don't need to . I have picked mine up early in a Friday after lunch to go somewhere, but after registration. I just give a note to the teacher saying I am picking up a bit early.

mouldycheesefan Tue 18-Oct-16 10:03:21

Also, I never request authorised absence to take mine in holiday. I write saying the children will be off X dates and that I understand it's unauthorised as no exceptional circumstances apply. I take them out a week per year. Never been fined.

PurpleCrazyHorse Tue 18-Oct-16 10:08:28

I'm picking DD up at 1:30pm on Friday after registration. No form, will just let the teacher know.

DD will also be off one day in November and I'm writing a note telling the school, I don't intend asking for authorised absence as it won't be granted. She had 100% attendance for the last school year so she's not off regularly.

dollybird Tue 18-Oct-16 10:10:38

That was my intention in writing the letter mouldy, but apparently the letter on its own isn't enough hmmIt's not like it's cheaper, we're still going in half term, it's just the ship sails on Friday! We need to leave by 2 so there isn't time for them to register after lunch

dollybird Tue 18-Oct-16 10:12:06

Purple that's what's so annoying, I'm not asking for authorised absence yet I have to complete a form saying I am!

mouldycheesefan Tue 18-Oct-16 10:16:26

Well you either complete the form or write a letter saying you are taking half day unauthorised absence. If they want you to complete the form for admin purposes just amend the form. Cross where it says request for authorised absence just put informing you of unauthorised absence. I wouldn't give it any further thought. Enjoy your holiday.

dollybird Tue 18-Oct-16 12:18:35

Good idea re amending the form, will remember that for the future, although we make an effort to only go on holiday in school holidays, just occasionally one day is on the last day of term

PinkFreesia Tue 18-Oct-16 12:23:00

You are completing the form to inform the school correctly so nobody suddenly thinks a child is missing. And of course OFSTED require paperwork for everything. I get you want a whinge but fill the form out so a teacher who is paid to teach doesn't have to do it for you.

dollybird Tue 18-Oct-16 13:59:14

But I don't have to fill in a form if I advise my child is leaving eat for a hospital appt or similar, and those upthread don't appear to have had to either. I've filled in the form anyway and never said the teacher should do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now