How do you manage school holidays?

(10 Posts)
MrsTardybigge Fri 29-Apr-16 16:28:07

I used to work in education so school holidays weren't too much of a problem but I'm soon returning to full time work after a few years as a SAHM. I get 30 days annual leave which, I know, is generous, but my DDs (10 and 14) get way more school holiday than that. My DH can take the odd day, but gets less holiday and, in any case, we would like to spend as much as possible of our (now precious) holiday together as a family. DD1 is ok for some of the time on her own but DD2 definitely not, yet can't go to holiday club as she's Yr 6 and leaving Junior school. I also don't feel it's fair to leave older DD in charge for anything more than a few hours, certainly not days at a time.

How does everyone else (who doesn't have family who can help) manage? It's only for a year or 2 but any suggestions?

Lilaclily Fri 29-Apr-16 16:30:30

Why can't your 10 year old, do go to holiday club?
There's sports camps etc if you look around

Me and dh have to take leave at separate times

The kids also stay with their grandparents for a week in the summer holidays

Bluelilies Fri 29-Apr-16 16:35:44

Mine have generally stayed home alone since the start of secondary school. I try and spread some of my leave out a bit so it's not more that a day or two at a time. Though I also only work 4 days a week so that helps a bit too.

There are plenty sports/general holiday clubs here though that take to 14 or so if you want them.

Chickpeachick0 Fri 29-Apr-16 16:41:18

Holidays are a struggle . In my area there are few holiday clubs and they dont cater for 10-14 yr olds. Nearest are probably 20 miles in opposite direction to my work . I'm quite happy leaving my 12 year old for a day , not 4 days . We have done PGL in the past. If you have no family it's really hard . Also my husbands job is at its busiest in the summer , so although will have a week off for a family holiday is difficult for him to take more time. I try and take turns with friends .

SocksRock Fri 29-Apr-16 16:42:54

Mine are a bit younger, but we do a combination of holiday camps, grandparents, annual leave and childcare swaps with friends. I only work part time so some days I have 6 kids around and my friends do the days I'm at work.

gingercat02 Fri 29-Apr-16 18:15:20

Sadly you do have to take a lot of time of one parent at a time. My Mum helps a bit but my Dad isn't well so it is less as time goes on.

Muskateersmummy Fri 29-Apr-16 18:40:29

Dd is starting this year. Our plan is a combination of my day off each week, GP 2-3 days a week and holiday club for what's left over.

We plan to take our holidays at half terms rather than in the summer.

lifeisunjust Sun 29-May-16 23:00:30

2 children same age they look after themselves at home.

CountryLovingGirl Tue 31-May-16 11:11:21

It's a nightmare at times especially for the younger secondary age child. I have just returned to work full time (after 12 years part time) so that has added complications to our childcare. I had no choice as my other job relocated and the commute was horrendous.
My DS is 12 and I have started leaving him at home for an hour or so. He is fine. Has a phone and neighbours 'keep an eye on him'. DD8 still goes to the childminder. Luckily, DH has 3 weeks off this summer and I have 2 weeks with odd days the other weeks. DH also has rest days during the week (we both work weekends but I am not doing weekends until my training is complete). This helps a lot. There are holiday clubs but he refuses to go. He attends the football summer camp (3 hrs a day) and I have said he will have to walk to the childminders house afterwards (closeby). DH works mainly early shifts so is around mid afternoon.
We have no grandparents alive to help us. Both DH and I were born to older parents and were the youngest child.

We manage, just!

LockedOutOfMN Tue 19-Jul-16 19:14:46

What sort of facilities do you have near your house? Do your daughters like sports? Maybe you can give them money to play tennis or badminton a couple of afternoons a week, or go rollerblading or cycling, as well as good old swimming, and even the library? (Libraries are a bit Marmite; bookworms will spend all day there, the others act like there's a cattlegrid at the door). Look on your town hall's and local sports' centre etc. websites for details of anything going on, even perhaps churches have something happening like a charity event they could help with?

Can you send your 10 year old to a friend's house for the day, then have the friend back when you're home?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now