why oh why are the half terms different?

(9 Posts)
Tigresswoods Mon 07-Mar-16 18:07:54

Disclaimer: total first world problem

We've been away skiing with friends the last 2 years. Both families have primary school aged children.

We planned to continue this indefinitely. It works, we all get on & have a fab time.

Disaster had struck. In 2017 the term dates don't match (we live in neighbouring but differs counties ) & February half term for them is a week before us!

We are now at stalemate. Neither family would want to take kids out of school. I know we probably have to just accept the situation & hope it doesn't happen next year.

almostthirty Mon 07-Mar-16 18:15:22

Could you go mid week to mid week so each families dc only need 2 days off term time disclaimer I am a teacher and don't agree with not allowing term time holidays

allthekingsshoes Mon 07-Mar-16 18:21:24

It's a pain but Easter ? Or New Year?

Sparklycat Mon 07-Mar-16 18:44:16

Holidays always vary from county to county, you've just been lucky they've been the same until now.

CamboricumMinor Mon 07-Mar-16 18:49:01

It's one of those things. Go away at Easter instead when a week should overlap? Just be thankful that you aren't a teacher in a school which has different half term holidays to your own children, my DSis has this even though she works in the same town where her children are at school.

Biscuitsneeded Mon 07-Mar-16 18:54:37

Go at Xmas. It removes all the stress and pointless extravagance, and being there in the snow at Xmas is magical. Or if you have relatives you can't abandon at Xmas, go at New Year.

BackforGood Mon 07-Mar-16 19:00:44

It's always been the way in different local authorities.
What's getting worse is now - with academies and free schools and the like, there is less joined up thinking in the same authority, which obviously creates lots more problems.

mummymeister Thu 10-Mar-16 12:19:28

different holiday times is also the governments pathetic attempt at resolving the fines in term times dispute. you have just shown how it doesn't work and the problems it can cause plus what camboricum said. totally agree.

holidays are usually published a couple of years ahead so if you go on the lea websites they should be there for 2018 as well and you can see if this is one off or not.

FayaMAMA Wed 13-Jul-16 12:53:35

The snow will be better at Easter anyway as the snow season has been getting gradually later for the past few years. I would take my children our of school, but that's a personal preference.

My Brother has 3 kids in 3 different schools in three different local authorities... All different half terms a few years back. Seriously. He took them all on holiday in the first week and then asked for the other to have the worked they missed to do at home during their official half term and the schools played ball (I think they understood the situation).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now