Advice needed for how to get ready for private secondary.

(8 Posts)
Gracegrapecherry Wed 22-Jul-15 13:28:53

My daughter is starting a private school this September after going to a state primary. She is my first child so it is the first getting ready for secondary school and it's a private school as well. After her 11+, we stopped all her academic lessons and focused on her musical instruments as she wanted to start her instruments again. We don't know how to get her ready academically and in Sports. If you have any advice or experience please tell us

LIZS Wed 22-Jul-15 18:00:32

Honestly I'd just let her enjoy the holiday. There will be so few uninterrupted breaks from now on. Do they have any preseason training dates for sports, could she do a fun session at another school in say hockey or netball at a local club or school if she wants to ? Academically I wouldn't bother as the first few terms are about filling in any gaps. Do make her aware that they may reassess Maths and English for setting purposes, one local school "surprises" its pupils with this on the first day.

TwinTum Wed 22-Jul-15 18:13:09

Oh dear. My DDs are going to private secondary in Sept because I think the school will suit them as they are. I understand tutoring for the 11 plus given the competition in certain areas, but I do hope we have not signed up to 5/7 years of constant tutoring for end of year exams, tutoring to get into the netball team etc. Why do you think she might need preparation for sport?
Our intended preparation is:
1. buying the uniform
2. buying stationery and schoolbag
3. filling in whatever forms we have been sent to fill in.
4. reading whatever the school has sent us and doing whatever that material suggests (which so far is nothing other than the points above).

rainbowunicorn Tue 28-Jul-15 23:36:23

To be honest I would just let her enjoy the holiday. I really do not understand this constant pushing of children in all aspects of life. As adults we need down time to chill and just relax so why do we think our children do not deserve this. I certainly would not appreciate someone telling me I had to spend my holidays doing work for my job so why do we expect it from them.

ErrolTheDragon Tue 28-Jul-15 23:58:03

If the school wanted any 'preparation' they'd have told you. The academic and sports stuff is what they do! smile

You should let your dd relax; maybe encourage her in any hobbies she's particularly keen on, read a few books, maybe see if there's some activity she'd love to try out. Not school stuff.

lilihajnoczy Wed 05-Aug-15 11:02:35

I agree with the others and I think the long break is the ideal time to enjoy the whole family, spend time together and build great memories. However there are many ways that you can ensure that her brain keeps working and help retain what she has just spent months learning and maybe even increase her knowledge. I found this online maths class, once a week during August- if you want to boost her confidence: www.howcloud.com/edplace/maths/year-7 But make sure you get the balance right and have a great summer! wink

Seeline Wed 05-Aug-15 11:11:21

My Ds went from state primary to private secondary a few years ago. They sent a reading list from which he had to read one book over the summer and a spelling list. we did nothing else. DD is doing similar in September and the school has sent nothing. Both schools take a significant proportion of state school kids though. DS found the first couple of terms were about filling in gaps that they all had.
I think they need a break - school will make sure that they are doing what they need to do once they start.

luciez Sun 24-Jul-16 10:09:27

Hello. I suggest you look into the summer day camp French and Music Ensemble. Children between 7 and 12 year olds will learn French through musical activities. It's a small and personalised camp. It's at the end of August so just before the school starts again. It's fun, educational and would probabaly prepare her for her new school in a relaxed environment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now