holidays request not approved, shall I write an answer? If so how?

(17 Posts)
WannabeHappyNow Sat 13-Dec-14 09:14:39

As the subject said ,but also the HT threaten penalty. I am not sure if she's right ,as my DD is not five yet (she will be in April) , and she will be absent for 4 and half day ,as the Friday they breaking for Christmas is only half day ,till 12.10. I've checked the council website and it says that penalty will be given for 5 days unauthorised absence or for 10 missed session. It is not case in our situation ,shall write a letter to HT and point this out to her? Can you please help me ,if so,write it in nice way?
Thank you

WannabeHappyNow Sat 13-Dec-14 11:07:33

Anyone??

Tiredemma Sat 13-Dec-14 11:12:44

I wouldnt bother again- she knows the dates you plan to be absent. Its not the Headteacher who fines you, its the LEA ( they are unlikely to do so in this situation)

hesterton Sat 13-Dec-14 11:14:44

Dear Ms xxxx

Thank you for your response to our request. We are sorry that you cannot sanction this break. However as minihappy is not yet five years old, and will be missing 4.5 days, not five, we are informed that a sanction will not be enforceable within the legal framework through which it would be applied.

We will of course ensure she does any catching up necessary at this stage.

Best wishes...

However I am not a legal bod so no idea if this is right!

WannabeHappyNow Sat 13-Dec-14 13:50:42

Thank you for the replies, I will write to her. Funny thing is ,my son is in year 10 ,and his HT has no problem with it ,she authorised

WannabeHappyNow Sat 13-Dec-14 13:52:27

Sorry ,posted too soon. She authorised without any problem ,but in his case it was 3 days ,as 2 days are the inset days.

Spirael Mon 19-Jan-15 10:24:45

I am taking DD1 out of school for five days this half-term, and she's not 5 until July. I emailed the council before booking the holiday (as she hadn't been offered a school place at that point!) and they advised that there would be no penalty as she wasn't required to attend school until the term after her 5th birthday.

The school have to mark it down as an unauthorised absence as they are not allowed to authorise holiday absences any more. But chances are the council will just ignore it for children < 5. If you're worried, contact your council directly.

lessthanBeau Fri 12-Jun-15 17:36:26

you cannot be fined for a child under 5, they can't fine you for something you're not legally obliged to be doing.
took my dd out for 2 weeks just before she turned 5 no problem, its just unauthorised but who really cares about that?

clam Fri 12-Jun-15 17:51:26

My colleague (Y3) had three children absent on holiday from school the week before half term, and I (Y4) had two the week after, one of whom was on her second term-time trip of the school year.

Both unauthorised but no fines. It's the same as it ever was around here - parents take their kids out whenever they want.

CaTsMaMmA Fri 12-Jun-15 17:55:06

I'd send the letter above from hesterton ...with

Please enclose the relevant lesson plans from the absent days and we can ensure she catches up as appropriate

because ime the last week before christmas is all carol singing, kristingle making, festive film watching and whipping the children to a pre christmas frenzy. 3)

SomethingFunny Fri 12-Jun-15 17:56:16

I would be suprised if they did fine you.

However- being under five apparently doesn't matter. You have signed up to the school and the rules which go along with it. Not being in school until 5 only counts if you haven't already agreed to it. (If that makes sense).

exLtEveDallasNoBollocks Fri 12-Jun-15 17:56:59

The weeks before and after the half term break took our school down to 77% attendance because so many parents did a 2 week Hol using it. All unauthorised, none fined. In fact the only year group without any holiday absences was the pre-school!

Panzee Fri 12-Jun-15 17:57:51

Sounds like a bog standard letter template. Ignore it.

clam Fri 12-Jun-15 19:14:44

"Please enclose the relevant lesson plans from the absent days and we can ensure she catches up as appropriate"

If you want to take your children out on holiday during term time, that's between you and the relevant authorities. But no way in Hell am I passing on my plans/work for you to not do, Christmas week or not.

Youknowit Fri 17-Jul-15 21:33:35

Somethingfunny lives up to the name: the fine is for failing to ensure regular attendance of a child of compulsory school age at school I.e. the non attendance offence. If the child is under 5 they don't have to be in school so you can't be prosecuted and consequently can't be fined.

CamelHump Fri 17-Jul-15 21:36:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hesterton Fri 17-Jul-15 21:38:15

You all know this is a zombie thread don't you? I only realised when I saw my post and thought bloody hell when did i write that!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now