Ex husband taking kids out of school for a day for holiday has been unauthorised now what?

(11 Posts)
Thatslife72 Wed 09-Jul-14 17:01:33

My ex husband decided to take the children out of school for 1 day as he saved a couple of hundred pounds for doing this. I explained to him that he needed to sort it out with the school as it will be my daughters last day at this particular school forever as she is going up to secondary school in September. I didn't want to phone up sick for her as she can't be expected to lie and not say goodbye to all her old teachers and friends going else were. I explained this to my ex husband but he didn't really get it just thought I should phone up sick for her. I decided she couldn't be expected to do that so I applied for authorised absence but as expected it was declined, I told ex he may be fined he isn't happy but said he would pay fine. I'm just wondering how else this effects me as I'm the one who deals with the schools and bring up my children. It just annoys me as I'm taking them on holiday in august for this reason to avoid any of this and still it makes me look bad! I'm pissed off with my ex but what can I do I can't control what he does, any advice please?

ICanHearYou Wed 09-Jul-14 17:03:10

He will have to pay a sixty pound fine.

I can't see what else will happen

mummymeister Thu 10-Jul-14 14:36:41

it depends on what your local LEA policy is in relation to fines. you can have an unauthorised absence in some areas up to a certain number of days. it will be marked as unauthorised but you wont be fined. if their policy is to fine then it is £60 per parent. you would then have to make the case that you did not agree with the absence to get them to waive this. there is a test case going up on this I think sometime soon as there are lots of parents in your situation where one thinks its ok to take kids out the other doesn't agree but the fine is £60 per parent per child. would suggest you write to the school explaining this and speak with your LEA regarding their fines policy.

sonlypuppyfat Thu 10-Jul-14 14:45:14

Its one day and they are his kids, I really don't get this. Is him taking the kids away thats really upset you.

Missunreasonable Thu 10-Jul-14 14:46:16

I don't think you can be fined for one single day. I thought it had to be five consecutive days?

flowery Thu 10-Jul-14 14:48:33

"I applied for authorised absence"

Why? If he's the one wanting to take them out why didn't he do it?

mummytime Thu 10-Jul-14 14:48:53

Is your DD upset about it?
My middle one was very upset at having to leave school early on her last day of primary (and having to miss the leaves party); and this was to attend a wedding the other end of the country the next day.

I would put it in writing that you accept that permission has been declined, and send it to both your ex and the school (informing them of his name and address) so he has to deal with any consequences.

Coolas Sun 12-Oct-14 12:00:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

melw74 Sun 12-Oct-14 12:21:08

One day will not matter. I am sure they cant fine for one day, It has to be five.

Youknowit Fri 17-Jul-15 21:46:08

How is the rest of her attendance? I don't think a 1 day absence could be described as failing to ensure "regular" school attendance as the offence requires.

Indantherene Fri 17-Jul-15 22:03:39

Zombie thread from 2014!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now