Help! fines & taking 4yr DS out of school inc Xmas to see family he's never met in NZ

(5 Posts)
Jellylove Mon 07-Jul-14 19:33:59

It's a trip that has to be done , it's too far to go for a couple of weeks. My DH's parents aren't in good health and have never met my 2 children. We wanted us all to have a Christmas together as well.
I have also heard that you don't get fined for the terms before your child turns 5, if they are absent, which would be in January, is this true?
It's an important trip for the family at both sides of the world, and it's culturally important for my kids too as they are maori, they will really benefit from time with this side of the family.
Am I likely to be fined?

AuntieStella Mon 07-Jul-14 19:47:19

It's true.

As you have chosen to enrol your child in school you are expected to make sure they attend. So the school may well take a dim view of it all, and 'softer' attendance management sanctions support might kick in.

But you cannot actually be fined until he reaches statutory school age.

Jellylove Mon 07-Jul-14 20:19:31

So it's not even up to the term he turns 5 in, they can't fine until he is actually 5?

InTheNorth123 Mon 07-Jul-14 20:32:31

You can ask for permission to take up to two weeks off school. Could you combine those two week, with the two you get at Xmas anyway and go for 4 weeks. Given the circumstances I think you'd likely be given the time off. Yes, true you cannot be fined until they are 5, but would prob be a good idea to ask permission first and explain.

Jellylove Mon 07-Jul-14 20:40:54

Yes I am fully incorporating the Christmas school holidays so that we make full use and plan to take 2-3 weeks extra, hopefully using weekends wisely with flights etc.
I am making an appt with the head teacher but wanted to know where I stood before I went to see her smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now