Do I tell the truth or lie?

(9 Posts)
Wordsmith Mon 09-Jun-14 17:14:37

We are taking our DSs out of school for one day so we can go up to Yorkshire for Le Grand Depart - the warm-up to the Tour De France. It's a fabulous opportunity to see a big sporting event - we couldn't afford to go to the Olympics in 2012 and I'd really like the kids to get a taste of a national sporting occasion.

We live quite a few hours away and so are going up on the Friday and camping for the weekend, watching the race on Sat and as much as we can on Sun and then coming home Sunday afternoon/evening.

I was planning to request a authorised absence for both boys on the Friday (one's at primary, the other secondary - neither in 'important' SATs/GCSE years) but have been strongly advised by friends who are teachers NOT to book them out but to call in sick on the Friday morning.

This really goes against the grain for me, I don't take the kids out of school normally and I don't see why I have to lie to take them out for one day on a Friday, almost at the end of term anyway. But I can't afford to pay a fine and I don't agree that I should have to for one day. I know if I did 'fess up then we would be fined - several parents already have been for taking their children out for a day (again a Friday) to attend a sporting tournament in which the kids were taking part.

I mentioned in passing to DS2 that we may have to tell a little fib about that day and he's already started to get worried about it (he worries a lot). I'm prepared to face the music if we get 'caught out' afterwards and would much rather it was all above board - but what option do I have if we are to have this lovely family weekend away?

Doinmummy Mon 09-Jun-14 17:16:59

I'd tell the truth. Getting children to tell fibs is too much pressure for them.

Wordsmith Mon 09-Jun-14 17:20:10

I know DS1 wouldn't be bothered, but I do worry about DS2. And it's his school that has already fined parents.

ContentedSidewinder Sun 15-Jun-14 08:28:44

Fined parents for one day? Bloody hell.

Ds2 had to attend an eye hospital every 3 months which unfortunately meant missing school due to the appointment times. We used to take him out just after he had been registered in the afternoon meaning he had full attendance marks for the day.

What time are you leaving on the Friday? Would it be possible to miss half a day if school are fining for 1 days absence?

I would feel bad about lying, especially getting a child to lie also.

Enjoy Le Grand Depart, we live in Yorkshire and got stuck behind a massive group of cyclists training a couple of months ago (inset day for us)

EdithWeston Sun 15-Jun-14 08:34:18

Do not call in sick.

All this is doing is causing schools to request proof of illness, and that's a serious embuggeration when you have a genuinely ill child especially if it is a chronic condition. Please don't make life harder for those families.

Also, I think it is unwise to teach children to lie to secure advantage.

Pullingteeth Sun 15-Jun-14 08:47:02

I would tell the truth.

Don't know if it's the same for all, but DD who is year 1 would do literacy/numeracy on a Fri morning but would only miss something like art and chosing time in the afternoon. I'd probably pick them up at lunch time if it was me.

mummymeister Fri 20-Jun-14 12:20:28

tell the truth but expect to be fined. some schools in some areas do, will and have fined for one day £60 per parent, £120. as long as you are prepared to pay that then go ahead but tell the truth. I would ask for the leave and explain why. good luck

GiveTwoSheets Fri 20-Jun-14 12:24:17

I would fib bend the facts of reality and phone in sick

CalamityKate1 Fri 20-Jun-14 12:34:32

It's a toughie. I hate lying and I wouldn't ask the kids to lie but.....

We once asked if we could take the kids out of school TWO HOURS early, on the last day of term before the summer hols, knowing for a fact that all they'd be doing was watching DVDs.

Turned down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now