Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

question about history of school holidays

(4 Posts)
memememum Mon 26-May-14 15:51:55

Does anyone know if English state schools have always had half term holidays? They did in the eighties but a friend of mine is adamant that it was only brought in sometime in the seventies or early eighties along with comprehensives.

Goblinchild Mon 26-May-14 15:55:15

I started school in 1964 and there were half terms back then in England.

BackforGood Mon 26-May-14 16:01:14

I don't know about 'always' - but they certainly did in the time you are talking about.
I started teaching in the 80s, and they did then, and had throughout the time I'd been a pupil at school myself, so going back to the 60s.

Historically, there were more regional variations, according to where children were needed to work - eg harvestimg in the fields. Also whn the local industry had their 'industrial shutdown. So, in Stoke area, they had (have?) 2 weeks in Summer 1/2 term as it co-incides with the Potters holiday, so that's the same 2 wekks that majority of adults working in the area would get their holiday.

Picturesinthefirelight Mon 26-May-14 16:12:53

They abolished Potters Holiday the year I started at 6th Form - (1991?). It caused uproar at the time

I'm sure my parents & grandparents talked about Wakes & Potters holidays which coincided with half terms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now