What age do children find out Santa is not real?

(22 Posts)
Feellikerubbish Mon 28-Apr-14 13:56:22

We have a 6 year old and was thinking of when to take him to lapland. He turns 7 this November and at the moment still very much believes in Santa.

I have heard some kids find out the truth by 9 and some earlier and some later and just wanted to hear from you all and find out an average!

ds is asking me awkward questions already and he is 7

FreeSpirit89 Sat 10-May-14 14:05:29

DS is 4 and still believes.

DSD is 6 and getting a lil suspicious

Ewieindwie1 Sat 10-May-14 14:17:46

Keep it going as long as you can but by year 6 they know

ThreeLannistersOneTargaryen Sat 10-May-14 14:25:11

It wasn't a sudden thing, more a case of gradually becoming suspicious about the whole set-up, but these were the ages:

Me: 8
DS1: 9
DS2: 7
DS3: 9
DD: still believes, aged 9.

lunar1 Thu 15-May-14 21:41:19

Ds1 is 5 and said he didn't think FC was real and they it was just us that bought presents and the people dressed up were actors. He has been suitably threatened not to repeat this to his friends and little brother.

TheBuskersDog Mon 26-May-14 16:21:46

My son worked it out at 5 because there was no way he could get to all the houses in the world in one night.

Guitargirl Mon 26-May-14 16:31:01

I think I was about 8ish? DD, aged 7 started asking questions last year - much to DS's (age 5) horror...We went to Lapland UK last Christmas and that seemed to convince her for the time being. We are going to Finnish Lapland this Christmas so am hoping that she holds out until after that. She will turn 8 in January.

Dd is 7 and she started questioning it a little after Xmas. I think some people in her class had said he's not real. She was also confused because one of her presents was a blanket I'd made. She now still believes in Santa but also believes I'm an elf grin

Dd was 8 in March and appeared to still believe last Christmas. I'm kind if hoping this year is the year she stops believing as we are away for Christmas and can only take one or two presents as we will be limited on luggage space.

I think even if he didn't believe he'd still have a great time.

sunnydaylucy Tue 01-Jul-14 18:50:40

I am genuinely surprised by the answers to this thread.
DD1: just 12, has questioned but never been confirmed by me! I think she is keeping the act going for her sisters.
DD2: 9. Completely believes, did question a bit last year but let it go, with the threat of no presents!
DD3: 6 (nearly 7) still believes.

They are all bright kids, in the top end of their classes. So not easily fooled I wouldn't have thought? We have always had some presents from us and some from FC, so they have never questioned certain gifts that they were expecting! Perhaps I still believe... wink

mummymeister Thu 03-Jul-14 11:39:12

as soon as they leave junior and go to senior school it is definitely over by then. I would go sooner rather than later just in case someone says anything.

Showy Thu 03-Jul-14 11:43:57

I never believed and neither does dd. She is 7. I think we just played it down. Father Christmas is a story in this house, like Baboushka and the Wise Men and other tales we tell. It's not a big part of our Christmas tbh. I'd say half her class believe.

DS is 8 and he still believed last Christmas; however, he recently told me that his friend thinks Santa isn't real. Friend has 2 older siblings. Am sad that it may be over for DS.

SoldeInvierno Thu 10-Jul-14 19:21:45

DS was about 5. He worked it out and we just confirmed the truth to him. He still gets ridiculously excited over xmas though

FloozeyLoozey Thu 10-Jul-14 19:27:54

Ds was 5/6. He worked it out and confirmed it. I always find it a bit strange when you have children older than 7 who believe in it. I usually think they have worked it out but just pretend to their parents. I can't imagine being in a household where kid are fed such far fetched lies for years on end.

Supermum222 Fri 11-Jul-14 18:24:09

My son is 10 and he is doubtful about the Santa issue. He has said that his friends at school have told him that Santa isn't real but he is worried he won't get anything if he stops 'believing'.
I have a 6 year old too who firmly believes in Santa. I hope the eldest doesn't spoil it for her.

Kerrygirl01 Fri 25-Jul-14 14:16:06

I just answered my children truthfully when asked straight out if real or not. But my dd still wanted to think him real.

RumPunch Fri 25-Jul-14 14:20:14

DD is nearly 8 and still believes.

Floralnomad Fri 25-Jul-14 14:22:42

Mine always knew it was just a fun story ,it didn't/ doesn't make Christmas any less special .

picnicbasketcase Fri 25-Jul-14 14:23:59

I hope there aren't any small children reading over their parents shoulders seeing the title of thread.

morethanpotatoprints Fri 25-Jul-14 14:28:16

Hello OP, we kept it going until dd was 10 and told her a couple of months ago.
She had asked questions from about 7/8 but if you have a good imagination you can always come up with something, so they needn't know if you don't want them to.
Our older dc were maybe a year older, they were y6 at school and dd y5.
My dsis dd believed even more strongly having been to Lapland, so you never know grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now