fines for holidays.

(52 Posts)
engiebengy Wed 03-Jul-13 22:34:28

has anyone had a fine for taking their children out of school? We took ours out for week after half term for family holiday and have now received letters fining us both, separately for each child. ie two children, each have to pay £60 each per child. Total £240 ! is this normal practice. We are unmarried and therefore have different names but obviously same address. I cannot find anything relating to this fining scheme anywhere.
My children are yrs 8 and 9 both with otherwise %100 attendance and on or above all their grades in all subjects!

nkf Sun 23-Mar-14 22:00:58

I don't think the quality of parenting is the issue. It's what missed days at school do to children's education. Governments don't enquire into Mrs MNs's child. They look at the information that suggests pretty strongly that missed days means lower attainment. And all that that implies over a lifetime.

Children have a right to an education. It's the law. The law says that children should be in schools on certain days of the year. And that you can have some days off for very good reasons. You can tell from reading threads on here that parents have widely different views about what constitutes a good reason to keep a child off school. I daresay they all think they know what's best. Do you think they're all right?

EdithWeston Sun 23-Mar-14 22:06:10

Look at the date of first post here. It's a demonstration that holidays were not universally authorised even before the latest changes (nor was it ever intended that they should be).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now