Time off for family funeral

(10 Posts)
lateforpickup Mon 10-Jun-13 10:50:25

My Mum died just over a week ago, her funeral is tomorrow and I have asked to take my child out of school 90 mins early today and for her to have tomorrow and Weds off (we live a 3-4 hour drive away from where the funeral is taking place). My child has never had time off from school for a holiday or to go to the dentist in the 4 years she's been at school but the school office seem to think that I am asking for an excessive amount of time off for her. My dad is all by himself now and needs support and I don't feel that we can just rush up there and rush back in a day. Besides, I am also very upset about my Mum's passing. How much time does everyone else take their kids out of school for a family funeral and has anyone had any problems getting the time authorised by the school?

Ragwort Mon 10-Jun-13 10:53:33

The school sounds totally unreasonable, don't enter into a 'discussion' about it, just state clearly and calmly (if you can, must be very distressing) I will be taking name out early today and she will be returning from place & back to school on Thursday.

Very sorry to hear about your mum.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 10-Jun-13 10:55:33

Just do it. Don't even try to reason with them

I'm sorry for your loss.

Xx

FannyFifer Mon 10-Jun-13 10:55:59

Just keep her off school tomorrow. Do not explain yourself to them, we are going to a funeral is all you need to say.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 10-Jun-13 10:57:39

What is wrong with them? Her grandmother has died FFS.

Just take the time you need and sod them.

lateforpickup Mon 10-Jun-13 11:42:53

Thanks everyone. The school office say authorised time off is in accordance with council guidelines so, after posting, I called the council to ask what the guidelines are. Their Educational Welfare Officer said it is down to school discretion. Of course, I am taking her out of school regardless but I am still upset that the school office is being difficult. I haven't worked out what % her attendance is but she's had a total of 3 days off this school year so far (sick days with flu).

OldBeanbagz Mon 10-Jun-13 14:13:21

I'm sorry to hear of your loss and i really hope you managed to get this sorted out. I can't believe how insensitive the school is being sad

I took my DD out of school at 11.30am on the day of her Grandad's funeral and it was never even questioned. They were very understanding as they knew she was very close to him.

Chopchopbusybusy Mon 10-Jun-13 14:18:50

Normally I side with the school on absences but In this case they are being bloody ridiculous and I wouldn't discuss it with them any further. Just take your DD out.
I'm so sorry for your loss. Your dad will need you at the moment.

Onesleeptillwembley Mon 10-Jun-13 14:19:36

What is wrong with them? Your request is totally reasonable. Even if you're coming back on the evening of the funeral the children will be drained, mentally and physically.

Chopchopbusybusy Mon 10-Jun-13 14:20:08

Just noticed the time and I assume you'll have left by now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now