notfluffy Fri 17-May-13 06:02:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Daisybell1 Thu 16-May-13 21:46:02

If you can justify a weekend in Dorset, then this may be useful

www.kmc.ac.uk/kc/course_search/practical_lambing

notfluffy Thu 16-May-13 17:23:11

lilystem Thu 16-May-13 16:43:03

We live near moulton college which isn't that far out of London. Might be worth a try.

Daisybell1 Thu 16-May-13 16:36:13

I'm glad it looks like the dairy experience might come off. With regards to lambing, yes, ask around however I know from our own experience at home that dp works single handed and doesn't have the time to train someone.

I know you're a way from an agricultural college but it might be worth travelling to do one of their lambing courses - it could help reassure a stressed farmer that she's a safe pair of hands.

I take it she knows that the Royal Veterinary College are doing the NFU farm open days in June - it could be a good opportunity to show up, look keen and ask lots of questions.

cazboldy Thu 16-May-13 12:55:12

You could try ringing LKL services. My dh contract works through them. They arrange labour on dairy farms around the country, they may email farmers/ pass on your contact details.

www.lkl-services.co.uk/ website here.

EffieTheDuck Thu 16-May-13 12:50:01

WWOOF working weekends on organic farms.

notfluffy Thu 16-May-13 12:46:21

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 15-May-13 13:59:58

As a vet the easiest and actually most useful experience prospective students can get is lambing in the spring. I would be writing to just about every open farm with in a reasonable distance to see of they have lambing space for next spring. Lambing is viewed really well by the colleges as it is a good exposure to how 24/7 the job can sometimes be.
Dairy can be really hard to get as it is now much larger farms. Large animal vet experience even more so even actual vet students are struggling to get large animal experience.
The most recent student I have helped get in had three years of volunteering in our clinic, two weeks on a beef farm (much easier to get) and 4 weeks lambing experience. No dairy at all.

notfluffy Tue 14-May-13 07:48:05

Daisybell1 Tue 14-May-13 01:02:23

If you need contacts then she could try her local Young Farmers Club. The National Federation website has details of all the county co-coordinators - her local ones may be able to help.

Alternatively, the local agricultural college may be able to help either with time or with contacts.

Does it have to be dairy? Being open to any farm work (ok, not arable) may make it easier.

And does she have to be resident on the farm? A week's work shadowing with a large animal vet may be easier to come by.

Sorry we can't help you ourselves, we're sheep...

Notfluffy Sun 12-May-13 10:07:14

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now