Taking time off in term time for family emergency

(6 Posts)
kitkatzebra Thu 24-Jan-13 20:59:14

Me and my DD want to go and visit my Father in April as he has fallen very unwell recently and if we go in April we will be able to mix the holiday with the school holiday instead of taking all the time off during term time. My DD had 89 percent attendance last year (because of her being unwell) but has had 100 percent this year. She is in the third year of high school (year 9) and we have never taken time off for a holiday before. We were skeptical to take it off any time earlier because of her attendance last year but she has improved it a lot so far this year so do you think they will allow her some time off for our trip to see my Father? My Father lives in New Zealand so we would ask for about 10 days off in total. She hasn't seen him for over a year and a half and it isn't likely that she will see him much again as he isn't well enough to travel and his condition won't improve. I guess my question is (sorry for ramblingwink) Despite having 89 percent attendance this year, my DD in year 9 at high school has 100 percent attendance this year and we want to take around 10 days off school for a family emergency. Do you think she will be allowed the time off? Thanks smile

zumo Fri 25-Jan-13 00:03:43

She will learn more in the 10 days off than at school, tell the school she will be off its a family crisis, if they object well its tough, if they send you a fine etc its only small so just pay it, education isnt all talk and chalk its about life experiances, let her plan it all and take a bit of school work with her
I hope you all enjoy it and your Dads OK.

nailak Fri 25-Jan-13 00:12:25

we took time off, 2 weeks in dec at short notice as my dad had a stroke followed by a heart attack and they found a mass in his brain, the passport office issued emergency passports etc. The LEA are taking us to court.

deleted203 Fri 25-Jan-13 00:18:52

Let them nailak. They must be dickheads. What were you supposed to do with your children as you rushed to your father's side? Leave them home alone whilst you went abroad? What a ridiculous situation. I cannot see that anyone could find in the LEAs favour for this one.

Pancakeflipper Fri 25-Jan-13 00:35:37

TBH I am not sure it will be considered an emergency if it is an event planned in 3 months time.

You can give the circumstances but I wouldn't use emergency. Its likely to be unauthorised leave ( school covering own back).

It's hard to say what the HT will say - depends on a few factors. So a case of go and talk to them.

Alna2007 Thu 07-Feb-13 18:09:49

Need help please.I just asked for permission to take my son who is in FS2 to visit my dad who is very ill in Africa..He has been in and out of hospital .I got an email today which said the permission wasnt granted .I am looking to take my son off school for the first 7 schools days before easter break and then another five days after easter.I was told by the Head to come in and discuss the issue or make a phone call.I really need to take my son to see his grand dad and his younger sister who is just twenty months old.Going to Africa is not just a thing for a day and I dont know what the state of my dad,s health is now but I fear for the worst.Any ideas on what more to tell the head when I go see her..Will very much appreciate and if I can get ideas on what the consequences will be if they dont grant the permission because I really need to make this trip.My son hasnt started the full time school program due to him waiting on a statement so he goes four hours a day.
Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now