A short 4 day holiday has not been authorised!!

(185 Posts)

My daughter has 98% attendence in her junior school and i have sent in a holiday form asking for her to have 4 days of for a short break with family and i explained it had already been paid for and they will not authorise it as the target for SCHOOL attendence is not within goverment guidlines of 95%! Well in was not happy with this dicision as 1:shes never had a holiday 2:her other 2% abcensses were coz she was ill and authorised and 3: its not my problem about the whole school goverment snitzel bla bla

What does everyone think to this considering shes got 98% attendence ? The reason im annoyed is that A ive already paid and B i dont wanna b fined for 4 rare days outta school

ILikeTrains Sun 16-Jun-13 19:42:13

I know several parents who factor in the cost of the fine when budgeting for a holiday. Even with the new compulsory fines quoted in misty14's post it's still a lot cheaper than paying for a holiday during the school holidays.

AbbyR1973 Sun 26-May-13 17:08:03

I think this detracts from the idea that travel is an educationally useful activity for children. The experience of visiting new places, trying out languages etc. There is this bizarre idea that somehow time children spend with their parents is educationally less valuable than time spent in school. The reality is that in many cases the cost of holidays during the school holidays is so expensive it would essentially exclude some children from these positive experiences because financially it would not be viable- that includes holidays both in the UK and overseas.
There are also people who don't get to choose when they take their holiday such as many people in public service.
Fortunately our school takes a sensible attitude on this and recognises the value of family breaks. It also considers that homework includes trips out with the family, learning a musical instrument, taking part in sports activities etc. Long may good sense continue!

lljkk Sat 11-May-13 15:07:32

"for us this may mean our holidays are, in future, few and far between. "

My holiday plans are few and far between but if I believe the rumours I will get fined heavily anyway. Oh well.

lljkk Sat 11-May-13 15:05:35

ZOMBIE THREAD

We get the msg, Misty.

misty14 Sat 11-May-13 08:30:49

Sorry for posting on multiple threads, new to this thing and just followed what I had noticed a few other people had done, posting a topic on similar threads, so apologies for that. However, a direct quote from the email i got from the local authority states:-

"Term-time holiday:
Current 2006 regulations allow head teachers to grant leave of absence for the purpose of a family holiday during term time in "special circumstances" of up to ten school days leave per year. Headteachers can also grant extended leave for more than ten school days in exceptional circumstances.
Amendments to the 2006 regulations remove references to family holiday and extended leave as well as the statutory threshold of ten school days.
The amendments make clear may NOT grant any leave of absence during term time unless there are exceptional circumstances. Headteachers should determine the number of school days a child can be away from school if the leave is granted."
Unless I am mistaken this means NO permission will be given unless In the exceptional circumstances it mentions. And yes we would love to try Dumfries in August so long as the price of this is not substantially higher than it would be if we went in June.

AuntieStella Sat 11-May-13 07:49:18

All central Government is doing is removing the wording relating to holidays.

Authorisation is now, and will remain, totally at HT discretion so the person to whom "hard working families" need to take their complaints about policy within their school is the head.

But be prepared to find that your HT genuinely wants your DC in school in term time for benefit to both the individual child and the school community, and therefore does not want to authorise.

(misty14, if you want a not hot, not crowded, not expensive August holiday, try Dumfries and Galloway)

misty14 Sat 11-May-13 07:36:59

I have just requested authorised time off for my 6 year old daughter so we can go on a family holiday in June. We are going with my family who are in the fire service, so they have got allocated holiday slots which they cannot change. I explained this in the application letter, I even offered to take some work with us. The request was denied, so it will go on my daughters record as unauthorised. The letter I got back from her head teacher even contained a veiled threat about the involvement of the educational welfare officer as she will be absent from school for 11 days because of flight times. My husband spoke to the educational welfare officer and was told that all the heads in our town had taken the collective decision to refuse all requests, unless there are very exceptional circumstances (the only one mentioned was a soldier returning from active service), this person also informed my husband that as of September 1st 2013, new government rules come in to force meaning all requests for leave during term time will be refused, countrywide, and also the current, discretionary, £60 per parent, per child, fixed penalty fines, will be made compulsory. This means that each parent will get fined £60 per child who doesn't attend school, my impression of the new policy is that these fines will kick in for even 1 day of unauthorised absence. Now for us this may mean our holidays are, in future, few and far between. Adding the cost of any fines onto the cost of our holidays will, in many cases, make them unaffordable. Holidays during school holiday periods are already getting too expensive for us, as well as the fact that we don't particularly like going during August as it can be too busy and hot for us. We consider ourselves to be responsible parents, our daughter has a good attendance record and she is doing very well in her lessons, according to her teacher. Our local authority has produced a leaflet about this subject and it states that exam/test times and the first few weeks of a new school year should be avoided. I just wish that the people who made this policy change, actually understood how it affects real people, particularly the "hard working families", they all claim to support.

Jessie84 Wed 23-Jan-13 18:28:14

I have taking both my children aged 3 and 7 out of school and nursery for a two weeks, as we took a month trip backpacking in Thailand. The way I see it is yes first of all for financial reasons we couldn't do it otherwise but also it was an education recieved that they would never experience in school. We didn't spend every day by the pool or beach we visited temples seen elephants communicated and played with the thia community. It was culture shock which was good they had a trip they will never forget. My son kept a journal and made a scrap book also we did loads of reading taking photos. Honestly I can say they benefited more from that trip then being at school for two weeks. Tbh the school was brilliant they fully understood and appreciated are reasons. Their attendance have always been good so it really wasn't a problem. I'm planning to take them off school for 5days this year as we have a trip planned to Sri Lanka where again we will be traveling through the south. I have no doubt in my mind I'm doing the best for my children and if the school had a problem I would do it anyway... I know what's best for my kids not the school and certainly not the government. Of course if there were exams and such I would not dream of it. Because I am a good mum and I weigh the factors ups. I'm sure most mums who decide to do it do the same. After all we all want to give our children the best start in life.

hellyb25 Wed 15-Aug-12 09:31:26

some people on this thread are so self-righteous. I have booked a two week holiday next year on the 14th of July. Therefore my year two son will have to take the last five days of the year off. I havent requested this yet. my husband is a firefighter and gets set holidays so we have no choice when we go away. he has had 100% attendance for the last two years so if they say no i will be really pissed off. fingers crossed hey!

NoComet Mon 02-Jul-12 09:58:08

Just go!!!

FallenCaryatid Mon 04-Jun-12 12:37:11

Yet another Zombie thread lurches into the light.
Why do posters do this?

jayneypoo Mon 04-Jun-12 12:36:17

If it's exceptional circumstances, they have to consider it. I've been honest with my daughters school and fortunately they have given us permission. There are a lot of families in my daughters year that have blatantly lied ie: weddings etc... and school have done the same. I really don't think it's fair to say 'they fancied a cheap holiday' holidays are not cheap at all and are exceptionally expensive during school holidays. I think a little bit of understanding and thought towards families' situations would go a long way. Schools have targets and deadlines and reputations to uphold. The government should allow a limited time for family holidays and then there wouldn't be any unauthorised absences because of it. Some families can't afford a week in a tent on the east coast during the summer hols.

AMJ3 Fri 27-Apr-12 00:56:27

If u r planning to c family during the holiday, u should have said that u have to go to see family and have no where to leave ur children. So they do have to go with u. However i do know schools r really strict if they the kids have Sats. They never allow time off then.

mumeeee Sun 22-Apr-12 17:43:19

Teachers have to do a lot in their holidays. Marking and lesson planning. So they don't get as much holiday as some people think. But I don't think taking your DD out for 4 days will do her any harm. Ponders my eldest is 25 and there were some rules about taking term time holidays when she was at school. Children were actually allowed up to. 10 ( 2 school weeks) days off during term time. We still had to ask permission but always got it and we usually only went away for a week.

Yaaaaaayyyyy it has been authorised smile

The school rules should have been in the pack of information that you were given when your child started at the school - I well remember the mountain of paperwork that mine each came home with.

slacklucy Wed 11-Apr-12 23:47:29

my two dc's go to two different schools one is happy to authorise hols the other never authorises holidays during term time, unless your a farmer it seems!!
We will be going in term time this year first time ever & my eldest is 12.... but as dh & i are not able to get the same time off of work during the holidays we are going just before the summer hols.
I'm afraid i'll just ahve to take the punishment should they see fit to fine me.

They never stated rules when she started this school, but this thread is old now and things are nearly sorted and my dcs are very much looking forward to their 1st holidaygrin.
Headmaster phoned me & was very polite, he said as long as my daughter attended school everyday before the easter holidays i could send in another holiday form and he will authorise it.
He said the reason he could not authorise the original form is because her attendence needed to be just a little higher or he will get in the neck from truancy officer.
He was quite honest in the fact my dc has only ever had time of due to illness so he was quite happy as it would be a one-off in our case so he is willing to authorise it as soon as she is back at schoolsmile
Basically its nothing to do with school RULES it was to do with national goverment attendence NEW rules which in my opinion are ott.
All the other problems i had with the school have also been sorted smile

ellieday Wed 11-Apr-12 23:23:07

When visiting secondary schools for dd1 I remember the head in his parent talk saying the following 'by choosing our school you are choosing to follow the rules'. He was at the time mostly referring to the wearing of correct uniform but his words did make sense, I was making my choice by choosing that school.

As a primary school teacher myself, it is annoying when children are taken out of school particularly at the beginning of a term when we are introducing a new topic and refreshing class rules etc. Then when the child returns, they may have missed out on something that will lead to further work.
It amazes me that there are always children do not turn up on the first few days of the September term then the parents ask for their holiday to be sanctioned on their return with a variety of reasons/excuses!

We also do not give 'holiday work' as the feeling is that if the parent chooses to take holidays in term time that is their choice (even if holiday is authorised). Also I may not have planned what the class will be doing for the entire time just one child is absent. However if a parent has the decency to ask I will make a holiday diary pack with pencils and a book for the child to bring back to school to share with the class.

OP - you asked the school for holiday to be authorised and got turned down, they are following their rules which are agreed by the governing body. if you don't agree with their rules why not find another school!

Groovee Fri 16-Mar-12 17:03:19

We don't have a lot of spare left over money for holidays, but managed to get a caravan in our preferred site for cheaper than the sun deal as everything was included. And that's in the first week of the Easter Holidays. I'm restricted as I work a term time only contract, only get paid for what I work, no holiday pay do August is always a lean month with scottish schools being off for the whole of July. But we pay our bills and have a roof over our heads!

kitbit Fri 16-Mar-12 00:36:03

We don't have £££ to take a holiday in the school hols either so we don't take expensive holidays, we go camping.
And ds goes to school during term time like he's supposed to.

And I use paragraphs.

(Sorry but your bad tempered snarky comments have annoyed me.)

<grumble>

Portofino Thu 15-Mar-12 21:14:54

We never went on holiday at all as children. Well we went to Spain when I was 9, and I got dreadful sunburn. And that was it, til I was well into my teeenage years. It is not obligatory - whereas education is.

seeker Thu 15-Mar-12 20:56:02

Why is family time reserved for holidays?

Northey Thu 15-Mar-12 19:25:27

You would have family time in the school holidays though! You don't actually need to be in a caravan or holiday cottage or hotel or wherever in order to have it. It's not a now or never situation.

startail Thu 15-Mar-12 19:05:39

If the school want to mark it as unauthorised let them. It looks bad on their records.
Sorry I don't believe either work or school owns people body and soul.
Family time is vital.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now