A short 4 day holiday has not been authorised!!

(185 Posts)

My daughter has 98% attendence in her junior school and i have sent in a holiday form asking for her to have 4 days of for a short break with family and i explained it had already been paid for and they will not authorise it as the target for SCHOOL attendence is not within goverment guidlines of 95%! Well in was not happy with this dicision as 1:shes never had a holiday 2:her other 2% abcensses were coz she was ill and authorised and 3: its not my problem about the whole school goverment snitzel bla bla

What does everyone think to this considering shes got 98% attendence ? The reason im annoyed is that A ive already paid and B i dont wanna b fined for 4 rare days outta school

NoComet Mon 02-Jul-12 09:58:08

Just go!!!

hellyb25 Wed 15-Aug-12 09:31:26

some people on this thread are so self-righteous. I have booked a two week holiday next year on the 14th of July. Therefore my year two son will have to take the last five days of the year off. I havent requested this yet. my husband is a firefighter and gets set holidays so we have no choice when we go away. he has had 100% attendance for the last two years so if they say no i will be really pissed off. fingers crossed hey!

Jessie84 Wed 23-Jan-13 18:28:14

I have taking both my children aged 3 and 7 out of school and nursery for a two weeks, as we took a month trip backpacking in Thailand. The way I see it is yes first of all for financial reasons we couldn't do it otherwise but also it was an education recieved that they would never experience in school. We didn't spend every day by the pool or beach we visited temples seen elephants communicated and played with the thia community. It was culture shock which was good they had a trip they will never forget. My son kept a journal and made a scrap book also we did loads of reading taking photos. Honestly I can say they benefited more from that trip then being at school for two weeks. Tbh the school was brilliant they fully understood and appreciated are reasons. Their attendance have always been good so it really wasn't a problem. I'm planning to take them off school for 5days this year as we have a trip planned to Sri Lanka where again we will be traveling through the south. I have no doubt in my mind I'm doing the best for my children and if the school had a problem I would do it anyway... I know what's best for my kids not the school and certainly not the government. Of course if there were exams and such I would not dream of it. Because I am a good mum and I weigh the factors ups. I'm sure most mums who decide to do it do the same. After all we all want to give our children the best start in life.

misty14 Sat 11-May-13 07:36:59

I have just requested authorised time off for my 6 year old daughter so we can go on a family holiday in June. We are going with my family who are in the fire service, so they have got allocated holiday slots which they cannot change. I explained this in the application letter, I even offered to take some work with us. The request was denied, so it will go on my daughters record as unauthorised. The letter I got back from her head teacher even contained a veiled threat about the involvement of the educational welfare officer as she will be absent from school for 11 days because of flight times. My husband spoke to the educational welfare officer and was told that all the heads in our town had taken the collective decision to refuse all requests, unless there are very exceptional circumstances (the only one mentioned was a soldier returning from active service), this person also informed my husband that as of September 1st 2013, new government rules come in to force meaning all requests for leave during term time will be refused, countrywide, and also the current, discretionary, £60 per parent, per child, fixed penalty fines, will be made compulsory. This means that each parent will get fined £60 per child who doesn't attend school, my impression of the new policy is that these fines will kick in for even 1 day of unauthorised absence. Now for us this may mean our holidays are, in future, few and far between. Adding the cost of any fines onto the cost of our holidays will, in many cases, make them unaffordable. Holidays during school holiday periods are already getting too expensive for us, as well as the fact that we don't particularly like going during August as it can be too busy and hot for us. We consider ourselves to be responsible parents, our daughter has a good attendance record and she is doing very well in her lessons, according to her teacher. Our local authority has produced a leaflet about this subject and it states that exam/test times and the first few weeks of a new school year should be avoided. I just wish that the people who made this policy change, actually understood how it affects real people, particularly the "hard working families", they all claim to support.

AuntieStella Sat 11-May-13 07:49:18

All central Government is doing is removing the wording relating to holidays.

Authorisation is now, and will remain, totally at HT discretion so the person to whom "hard working families" need to take their complaints about policy within their school is the head.

But be prepared to find that your HT genuinely wants your DC in school in term time for benefit to both the individual child and the school community, and therefore does not want to authorise.

(misty14, if you want a not hot, not crowded, not expensive August holiday, try Dumfries and Galloway)

misty14 Sat 11-May-13 08:30:49

Sorry for posting on multiple threads, new to this thing and just followed what I had noticed a few other people had done, posting a topic on similar threads, so apologies for that. However, a direct quote from the email i got from the local authority states:-

"Term-time holiday:
Current 2006 regulations allow head teachers to grant leave of absence for the purpose of a family holiday during term time in "special circumstances" of up to ten school days leave per year. Headteachers can also grant extended leave for more than ten school days in exceptional circumstances.
Amendments to the 2006 regulations remove references to family holiday and extended leave as well as the statutory threshold of ten school days.
The amendments make clear may NOT grant any leave of absence during term time unless there are exceptional circumstances. Headteachers should determine the number of school days a child can be away from school if the leave is granted."
Unless I am mistaken this means NO permission will be given unless In the exceptional circumstances it mentions. And yes we would love to try Dumfries in August so long as the price of this is not substantially higher than it would be if we went in June.

lljkk Sat 11-May-13 15:05:35

ZOMBIE THREAD

We get the msg, Misty.

lljkk Sat 11-May-13 15:07:32

"for us this may mean our holidays are, in future, few and far between. "

My holiday plans are few and far between but if I believe the rumours I will get fined heavily anyway. Oh well.

AbbyR1973 Sun 26-May-13 17:08:03

I think this detracts from the idea that travel is an educationally useful activity for children. The experience of visiting new places, trying out languages etc. There is this bizarre idea that somehow time children spend with their parents is educationally less valuable than time spent in school. The reality is that in many cases the cost of holidays during the school holidays is so expensive it would essentially exclude some children from these positive experiences because financially it would not be viable- that includes holidays both in the UK and overseas.
There are also people who don't get to choose when they take their holiday such as many people in public service.
Fortunately our school takes a sensible attitude on this and recognises the value of family breaks. It also considers that homework includes trips out with the family, learning a musical instrument, taking part in sports activities etc. Long may good sense continue!

ILikeTrains Sun 16-Jun-13 19:42:13

I know several parents who factor in the cost of the fine when budgeting for a holiday. Even with the new compulsory fines quoted in misty14's post it's still a lot cheaper than paying for a holiday during the school holidays.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now