A short 4 day holiday has not been authorised!!

(185 Posts)

My daughter has 98% attendence in her junior school and i have sent in a holiday form asking for her to have 4 days of for a short break with family and i explained it had already been paid for and they will not authorise it as the target for SCHOOL attendence is not within goverment guidlines of 95%! Well in was not happy with this dicision as 1:shes never had a holiday 2:her other 2% abcensses were coz she was ill and authorised and 3: its not my problem about the whole school goverment snitzel bla bla

What does everyone think to this considering shes got 98% attendence ? The reason im annoyed is that A ive already paid and B i dont wanna b fined for 4 rare days outta school

yousankmybattleship Wed 14-Mar-12 20:12:39

Good point, so much better for your children to have untrained staff.

seeker Wed 14-Mar-12 20:13:05

Perish the thought that teacher might wqnt to do any training!

kitbit Wed 14-Mar-12 20:13:11

It is not your right to take your children in term time.
It's called term time because it is, in fact, term time.
You should have asked first.
Better still, go on holiday in the holidays, because they are, in fact, holidays.

QED Wed 14-Mar-12 20:15:45

You seem to have quite a strong sense of self entitlement.

You should ask for the holiday to be authorised before booking it. And schools don't have to authorise any holiday.

MargueritaaPracatan Wed 14-Mar-12 20:16:17

Both of my ds's HTs have authorised a term time holibob. I booked it before we knew because I was sure we'd be approved so I feel your pain pumpkinsweetie - I'm not paying double the price for the half term week. So sue me.

QED Wed 14-Mar-12 20:17:05

Schools have a set number of teacher training days each year. Why do you have an issue of one being at the end of term?

40notTrendy Wed 14-Mar-12 20:18:46

It seems you have a few issues with the school! Perhaps the way you feel about things in general is making you feel more angry than needs be?

Its FOUR days and i never ever let her have time of for any other reason than being sick. So no i dont have an attitude about her education i care very much for her education thats why its only a four day holiday. Its not at an important time its straight after the easter holiday. And we are going to see FAMILY there too which was what i put on the form-if thats not important then what is? Im all for teacher training days but not when they suddenly crop up with hardly no warning! My family have never had a holiday we are on minium wage and even with vouchers i we have been saving hard for spending money and all the other bits that come with it. We work hard all year so yes we should get to have a holiday once in a while and my children deserve a break

seeker Wed 14-Mar-12 20:26:15

"not an important time straight after the Easter holidays" hmm

landofsoapandglory Wed 14-Mar-12 20:29:42

I think the HT is being pedantic about this too. 4 days will not hurt at all. I can completely understand why you are fed up about this OP.

My Yr10 is being taken out of school the last week of the Summer term so we can have a holiday. We could only go that week incase DH (military) got called for the security for the Olympics. I checked the website for the 6th form for term dates (I was paying for something for DS1) and booked the holiday. It was only after I got a letter from the school abou something for DS2 in the week we are away that I twigged that the Yr12s break up earlier than the rest of school!

I am not overly bothered DS2 won't be at school TBH. Most of the resedentials are that week, he is doing really well at school and I am pretty sure he will be mostly watching films if he were to be at school.

Voidka Wed 14-Mar-12 20:31:32

You should have got permission first.

There is no point getting angry afterwards and slagging the school off. You sent your daughter there I assume.

Well they have been taking my childs playtime away along with the rest of the class because 15 pupils were naughty without MY permission on numerous occasions

They dont need your permission.

Portofino Wed 14-Mar-12 20:32:26

If I took my dd out of school for 4 days without a doctor's note, she would lose her school place. I am always shocked at how lightly some people treat their dc's education.

yousankmybattleship Wed 14-Mar-12 20:32:30

Are your family not available during school holidays? If you have been planning this holiday for so long, then asking the school for permission should have been part of that planning. Would you just swan off from work without properly clearing it with your boss? Oh, and the four days after the Easter holiday are very important I'm afraid. If you'd bothered speaking to the school they may have explained why.

Northey Wed 14-Mar-12 20:35:32

Teacher training days were taken out of teachers' holidays, not out of days when they would hbe been teaching, so even if the training weren't taking place your child would not have been in school.

ssd Wed 14-Mar-12 20:36:18

don't see he problem with having a 4 day holiday when your dd has a 98% ATTENDANCE RATE

as for everyone saying fo in the holidays, well its twice the price then and some of us struggle with that

op, I don't blame you being pissed off

i hope you get your holiday with your dd and family, you probably deserve it

ssd Wed 14-Mar-12 20:36:57

go not fo

lesstalkmoreaction Wed 14-Mar-12 20:37:34

The problem is you are not asking for time off, in your letter by telling them that the holiday is already paid for you are going on holiday anyway hence the trip will be unauthorised. Next time you ask first.

They did explain and this is what they said-The SCHOOL attendence is below %95 which is below goverment guidlines for the school year.
Its not my problem what the SCHOOL attendence is as my daughter is on time and in school everyday unlike others i know. The goverment are taking over everything at the moment including our nhs and ruining it. I understand why there has to be rules but there should be an exception for those who dont play truant and have over 96%

Voidka Wed 14-Mar-12 20:41:00

It amazes me the amount of people who feel that the only important time in a school year is exam times.

I put exactlly the same on my other daughters forms in the infants and they were accepted straight away so what im saying is the juniors is being a pain all because they got v low ofsted points and theyv been shoved into this goverment lunacy that doesnt allow the low paid a holiday

BackforGood Wed 14-Mar-12 20:42:13

but that's what you are suggesting - that they miss school when not ill.

If they take 4 days off, that's 2.1%, so actually, you are contributing to the under 95%. why is that difficult for you to see ? confused

But she hasnt had the four days yet so it remains at %98

BackforGood Wed 14-Mar-12 20:46:08

eh?
can't you see that if you take them, it will be lower ?

Northey Wed 14-Mar-12 20:47:10

Yes, your child would be truanting.

Popoozle Wed 14-Mar-12 20:49:28

What year is your DD in OP? Is it a SATS year? My DS is Year 6 and if he had wanted to have up to 10 days booked holiday in every other year during primary school there would not have been a problem. This year however he would not be allowed any days because of SATS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now