A short 4 day holiday has not been authorised!!

(185 Posts)

My daughter has 98% attendence in her junior school and i have sent in a holiday form asking for her to have 4 days of for a short break with family and i explained it had already been paid for and they will not authorise it as the target for SCHOOL attendence is not within goverment guidlines of 95%! Well in was not happy with this dicision as 1:shes never had a holiday 2:her other 2% abcensses were coz she was ill and authorised and 3: its not my problem about the whole school goverment snitzel bla bla

What does everyone think to this considering shes got 98% attendence ? The reason im annoyed is that A ive already paid and B i dont wanna b fined for 4 rare days outta school

countydurhamlass Wed 14-Mar-12 18:00:30

the government were/are planning on getting rid of the school's discretion and making it a case of under no circumstances but i am not sure if has been implemented or not.

ragged Wed 14-Mar-12 18:01:24

Do you know that they will fine? I reckon most schools wouldn't bother.

Im hoping they wont fine me but i know a friend of a friend that got charged £50 for her son having 2 days off! I cant really afford to throw money away and i dont think its fair if i do get fined

seeker Wed 14-Mar-12 19:18:55

So why didn't you get permission beforeyou booked?

Hulababy Wed 14-Mar-12 19:20:04

Re your points:

(A) You should request the time off before booking and paying
(B) If that is school policy, then that's the policy I am afraid.

However, I don't think 4 days out will affect her overall schooling or education ime.

But you will just have to take the risk and pay the fine it is comes.

BadRoly Wed 14-Mar-12 19:20:42

It seems harsh of the school but that's the risk you take if you book holiday in term time. It's no secret that the government and therefore schools are clamping down on attendance.

BIWI Wed 14-Mar-12 19:22:29

You should have asked the school first! You don't have a right to go on holiday, and certainly not during term time.

bigbadbarry Wed 14-Mar-12 19:22:49

We get no term-time holidays authorised as a blanket policy. This is not unusual.

LeeCoakley Wed 14-Mar-12 19:27:59

The schools where my children are only authorise absence for religious observances, holidays abroad when visiting for family purposes, armed services related or bereavement or terminal illness related. Anything else is unauthorised.

ByTheWay1 Wed 14-Mar-12 19:30:08

You really should have applied for authorisation before booking the break if it matters that much to you.

ContinentalKat Wed 14-Mar-12 19:38:40

Maybe a bit obvious now, but kids do get sick...?

LeeCoakley Wed 14-Mar-12 19:40:49

It's keeping it a secret though.... grin

We do have a laugh at school when the 'ill' children come back to school with a tan and telling us how to say 'hello' in Spanish!

BIWI Wed 14-Mar-12 19:41:13

Why don't you think it's fair if you get fined? Them's the rules!

yousankmybattleship Wed 14-Mar-12 19:41:52

You should have asked persmission before booking. The school have every right to say no. Think how it would affect a class if every week there were children off on a few days break. The poor teachers would spend all their time playing catch up. School is not actually optional you know.

tuffinmop Wed 14-Mar-12 19:50:49

Education and a rounded good upbringing is more than just school. Children need the opportunity to have family time too and for 4 days I think the school is being pedantic. Its all linked to the new ofsted criteria. I say this as a teacher myself.These new strict guidelines are here to target problem families who have no respect for the school system. In future either book in advance (ideal) or call in sick. Memories as a family are important too.

seeker Wed 14-Mar-12 19:54:43

Oh, yes. 4 days in butlins is sooooooo much more educational than 4 days at school. And calling in sick is such a good message to send the child. Don't forget to coach her on what her symptoms were for when she gets back. And to make sure she doesn't give anything away the week before by telling her friend about it or anything like that. Oh, and make sure she doesn't bring back any tell tale presents for hr friends or her teacher, or send any postcards.....

MargueritaaPracatan Wed 14-Mar-12 19:58:20

Good Lord, four days and they're digging their heels in? That's a bit harsh.

40notTrendy Wed 14-Mar-12 19:59:09

It's a difficult one. I do understand it's only 4 days and it's junior school, and I'm assuming it's not during an important week. However, if DH ran out of holiday entitlement at work, I think his boss would be entitled to be a bit hmm if presented with the same argument you are using. And say no way! I think it's good to encourage punctuality and attendance. But I think if it were me, I wouldn't have put a form in, I'd just have rung to say she was ill!

The reason why i got permission afterwards is because i didnt expect there to be a problem as she has 98% attendance. I never said i had a right to go on holiday but it is only 4 days and its way expensive to go in half term as im going cheap with the Sun vouchers. I think the school is going over the top as my other children were authorised by their school which is the infants joined on! 4 days thats all it is, they will be seeing family and the zoo and sealife centre so very educational also. Iv wrote the head a letter & if still not accepted i will b taking her off ill

bigbadbarry Wed 14-Mar-12 20:05:03

You don't have to take her off sick, they know where you are going. It will just be marked as unauthorised absence.

Oh and they scored v low with ofsted recently so maybe thats the reason! Well they have been taking my childs playtime away along with the rest of the class because 15 pupils were naughty without MY permission on numerous occasions ! Which makes me v annoyed as she and the rest of the pupils were being good so im not happy with the school in general at the momentangry

BackforGood Wed 14-Mar-12 20:10:01

I can't see why you are surprised.
Your children are supposed to attend school for 190 days a year, unless they are too ill to be in school. Full stop. You've chosen to not support this rule (irrelevant if we think it matters or not to miss 4 days), so there is a possibility (unlikely IME) that you will be fined. You certainly aren't going to get a Head Teacher to say "Of course that's OK, we made the rule for everyone else except your family" - why would they ?
The HTs have a little discretion if there is some valid reason why a pupil would need an exceptional time off in term time. The key word there being 'exceptional'. That isn't the same as "fancied a cheap holiday".

seeker Wed 14-Mar-12 20:10:09

Oh well, good luck when your child copies your attitude to education!

Oh and its ok for them to slap on a teacher training day on the last day of term, makes me so mad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now