Trip home to New Zealand during term time

(5 Posts)
ScouseKiwi Tue 17-Jan-12 15:44:11

Hi All

My niece is getting married next year in March, and we would like to go home to New Zealand (where I'm from - hubby English - kids 1/2 n 1/2 wink) for this.

It would mean taking the kids out of school for 3 maybe 4 weeks.

My Mum and sister live in NZ, and it is my sisters daughter who is getting married. I have missed out on most family occasions over the years and really don't want to miss this. I missed my dear Dad's 80th birthday in 2008, and he died the following year. I couldn't have been more distressed. I don't want to just go home for funerals!!! I also had to go home for the funeral on my own and this time I really want to go as a family.

My dear Mum is now in her 70's and realistically this could be the last time she sees the boys because going home on a regular basis is financially impossible, and she has said that she doesn't think she could come this way on her own which is understandable.

I am thinking of approaching both the boys schools now, to start making arrangements and to hopefully have permission granted. DS1 will be in Year 9, and I know that this is a very important year for him, but he is willing to take any work he needs to to keep up. DS2 will be in Year 5.

As it is a one off situation, do you think that the schools will be OK?

Any advice or experiences will be gladly received.

Cheers

exoticfruits Wed 18-Jan-12 07:27:42

It depends on the LEA. Our schools don't have the choice-they are told by the LEA that it will be unauthorised. Start with the primary school, pop in and have a chat.

ScouseKiwi Fri 20-Jan-12 09:34:26

Thanks for that. I have spoken with the High School this morning after dropping DS1's lunch money off (he never remembers anything), and they said as long as we give them plenty of notice it should be fine!

Cheers
x

exoticfruits Fri 20-Jan-12 13:38:53

In that case I would get all the forms signed before they have a change of policy.

Notreadyquiteyet Mon 13-Feb-12 12:33:47

As a teacher in a secondary school, policy tends to be if it is for a family occasion, it can be authorised. Stress the wedding, not the holiday side of it, also try and link it with the easter holidays.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now