What childcare do you use for a Yr7 (12yo) during the school holidays ?

(24 Posts)
CroissantNeuf Sat 14-Jan-12 09:49:12

I'm currently working in a temporary capacity but there is a chance that it could become permanent.

I have a 7yo DS and 12 yo DD.

When it comes to the school holidays there seems to be adequate childcare available for DS (holiday clubs, sports coaching clubs etc that are right up his street) but not for DD.

Everything seems to be geared up towards the upto 11 years old age group.

What do you all do with your 12+ DC?

CroissantNeuf Sat 14-Jan-12 16:17:40

anyone?

Thanks

south345 Sat 14-Jan-12 16:21:09

I'm a childminder and I look after a 12 year old, lots of clubs are too babyish for him.

CroissantNeuf Sat 14-Jan-12 16:47:34

south, do many childminders have vacancies for just holiday care though? I'm pretty sure that the childminders I see at school are always fully-booked with babies and toddlers?

NickNacks Sat 14-Jan-12 16:53:49

Also a cm here. Over 8's are not included in our strict ratios so on theory every cm would have space for her if they wished and felt they could cope.

NickNacks Sat 14-Jan-12 16:54:58

in theory

CroissantNeuf Sat 14-Jan-12 16:56:19

OK thats interesting, thank you.

I'm not sure how DD would feel about it though -short term (eg. a week) she would probably love it as she likes the 'little ones' but I guess it would depend on the cm and their set-up after that.

Kbear Sat 14-Jan-12 16:56:57

It's a tricky one - two young IMO to leave home alone but you're right, the clubs aren't geared to that age group. I count my blessings in having parents to help me and a DH that does shift work but it could be a nightmare. My DD is 13 next month but I still wouldn't want to leave her all day on her own - I leave the house at 7am.

Be interested to hear what everyone else does.

ragged Sat 14-Jan-12 17:01:15

I'm not working, but I can think of a lot of options.
Many sports clubs and camps, some youth clubs, activity centres.
Summer school activities, lots of these would work best if you didn't mind leaving them alone for part of the day.
Helps if your kid does scouts/guides, instant childcare for 5-14 days/summer!
Norwich City sports-in-community camps are cheaper than the local holiday clubs, actually.

south345 Sun 15-Jan-12 12:31:28

Depends on the childminder as to whether it would suit, I don't have most of my little ones in the hols but we do things like the beach, swimming, parks, ice skating etc do plenty of stuff for older ones.

Poundpup Sun 05-Feb-12 20:12:44

Have you looked into Day Camps such as Barracudas, SuperCamps or Camp Beaumont. These camps often allow children up to 14 years old to attend, have a lot of activities; so cool tweens are too bored and aren't too pricey.

There are some companies that do residential camps e.g. PGL or ATE, but these tend to be a tad more expensive.

Notreadyquiteyet Mon 13-Feb-12 12:56:20

Not this year but next, is she the sort who would enjoy cadets.

We go away for 2 weeks of the summer holidays, costing parents £70 + spending money - Not a lot for the time.

They have a great time and come back that bit more ready to face what life throws at them.

I was an army cadet myself and love it so much i am still going away every year as an adult instructor!!

mumeeee Wed 22-Feb-12 10:27:37

Have a lot at your leisure centres I know leisure centres round here hold activity clubs in the school holidays for children up to the age of 14. They run from 8.30 to 6 and the children are split into different age groups.

startail Sun 04-Mar-12 01:27:48

One of our local private schools runs a very good summer school, but they don't advertise it very widely.
A lot of other things are half days and pretty useless as child care.

YummyMummySarah Sun 17-Jun-12 10:49:07

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

doppleganger Tue 28-Aug-12 17:58:16

Youth theatre group or sports coaching ? Days out with friends ?

doppleganger Tue 28-Aug-12 17:59:18

Youth theatre group or sports coaching ? Days out with friends ?

changejustforyou Tue 18-Dec-12 16:42:30

I have same problem. Lots of above mentioned activities are only till 3pm. HOwever I have found the odd one lasting longer. Kings camp is one but not running in the Xmas holidays.

lizmonkey Wed 20-Feb-13 15:07:19

I posted this a week ago on another discussion but feel it should go in here too:
ATE Superweeks are most definitely the answer. They manage to cater activity wise for every child from the non-stop-games-fan to those who love art and craft, to the enthusiastic singer (often with little or no skill whatsoever!!) to the budding code-breakers and even those whose real love might be maths! They are active, imaginitive and wholesome holidays where children thrive and are treated as individuals whilst enjoying being part of a group (age related) and of the whole holiday. Accompanied travel is included in the very reasonable price. They're a not-for-profit so not too ££.
All staff have to undergo an intensive, comprehensive and compulsory training course of 7 days minimum speaks volumes for the quality of the organisation. Could go on for pages - easier if you check them out online. Have a whole 7 days (including 7 evenings and a whole weekend to yourself - bliss!) It's a win-win situation.

Picturesinthefirelight Wed 20-Feb-13 15:16:27

I won't be using any apart from grandparents who will also be looking after younger ds.

I imagine next year when dd is at secondary shell bw doing stuff like going into town with friends.

changejustforyou Sat 30-Mar-13 16:36:43

Big problem. Don't want to send all 3 dc of for a whole week but most day activites are only till 3or 4pm.

Kingscamp is not bad but only running 1 week these Easter holidays. Luckely found 1 more place where you can keep them till 6pm!

Healthmatters Wed 01-May-13 14:06:18

Global Future Fit provides an educational and fun healthy living summer camp for children, teens and young adults aged 11-21 years. So if you would like your child to have a great summer while doing lots of fun activities and making new friends, then this might be something to think about. http://www.globalfuturefit.com

JugglingChaotically Fri 10-May-13 10:39:49

Have a look at PGL for a week to break up the hols.
Just booked DD plus 2 friends on a PGL week. Saturday to Saturday so pick up and drop off work and including all activities, accomodation and all meals around £300 each with deals. Look out for their 2 for 1 and other money off deals for early booking and get on their mailing list. DD did it last year and had such fun despite teeming rain all week !! and has been desperate to go again ever since!

lilli30101968 Fri 19-Jul-13 09:59:23

yes its true the playscheme takes until 11 years but you can look at tennis course on your local area its cheap for 3 hours or camps they are expensive £35 a day , swimming course on your leisure centre it can be expensive but what can we do the council use to run some scheme not anymore all private .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now