When DCs have friends round in the hols do you limit computer/gaming time?

(7 Posts)
D0oinMeCleanin Sun 11-Mar-12 04:05:46

No I don't but I don't generally need to. My two are given free range of 'screen time' including their own netbook and cable TV in their room, as a result it's not that exciting and they tend to drop friends who want to play inside a lot on favour of friends who want to go the park. Between them they own almost every gadget going. none are used often, their scooers otoh...

Mine is younger but I balance it so usually during holidays we will have a child around most of the day, before say lunch there is no screen time and then when they are all getting a bit tired and tetchy with each other they can have tv and if not fighting over it then they can go on the wii.

EdithWeston Fri 19-Aug-11 18:53:44

I don't, because I limit it at other times.

If he wants to rot his brain with his mates, then I let them get on with it. Actually, that's my idea of a good afternoon - a friend round for each DC, let them on their consoles and enjoy a quiet afternoon. I do make sure all games (or DVDs, if they want that sort of brain rot) are correct certificate for age (or explicitly approved by parents of visiting child, especially for 10 year old boys and 12A films).

When my mum babysat she set up a time exchange with the children: for every 10 minutes they spent outside, they got double the time on the gaming systems.

Jesusgirl Wed 20-Jul-11 22:54:58

Hi! Sorry no one has replied!

My ds is 7 and he does the same. We have a rule at home of no tv or computer games on school days but when he has a friend over he breaks the rule and like you I don't want to seem mean especially as it's just our house rules and not the friends.

Anyway, we're having 2 of ds's friends over for a day during the holidays. They're all into science at the moment, so we're going to do cool science experiments out in the garden. I guess it's a bit easier for me as they're all 7 year olds. I'm not sure how you can entertain 10 and 12 year olds! But if you know something they're interested in and if they don't get embarrassed 'hanging' out with mum- you could make them do something fun outside.

whippet Mon 04-Jul-11 21:35:32

<lonely bump>

whippet Mon 04-Jul-11 14:03:50

My DSs(11 & 9) seem to take the piss mickey and spend much more time on the Wii/ PC that I would normally let them.
If i limit it then they complain later that I'm 'mean' and that 'nobody else's Mum does that' (?)

I'd prefer them to go outside/ entertain themselves in other ways.

I need to have a plan before the holidays start.
What's your strategy/ policy/ tips?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now