After school clubs

(3 Posts)
PattyPenguin Thu 26-May-11 20:27:45

I don't think this actually fits in this topic, as it refers to out of school clubs rather than holiday clubs, but I couldn't find anywhere more appropriate to put it.

Anyway, a colleague of mine was horrified to find that the commercial breakfast and after school club at her children's school wasn't registered with the Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales - in England I believe such clubs are registered with Ofsted.

We were both gobsmacked when we heard that the bloke who runs it said he didn't have to register as the club runs for 1 hour and 55 minutes. I decided to check on her behalf, as she is constantly busy with work and two young children.

I sent an email asking
"I understand that after school clubs which operate for less than two and a half hours per day are not required to register with the CSSIW.

Do their staff have to have CRB checks? Do they have to meet the minimum standards with regard to communication with parents, insurance, premises and policies on equality of opportunity etc?"

and got the reply
"You are correct in your understanding that 'if the total of care in any one day does not exceed two hours' (National Minimum Standards for Regulated Child Care) the Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales has no requirement to register them.

If the provision asks for advice we would advise as 'Good Practice' that CRB's are carried out on staff and that they should meet the National Minimum Standards for that type of care. However we have no statutory duties to take action."

I gather that the same is true in England.

Is it just me who's incredulous at this?

Euphemia Thu 30-Jun-11 09:14:35

I'm staggered by the staff not needing CRB checks! I wouldn't send my child there.

meditrina Thu 30-Jun-11 09:30:35

There's a difference between being falling under a particular inspection regime (process) and the actual standards required.

Anyone with regular or unsupervised access to children needs a CRB check. This applies to all sorts of activities, many of which are nothing whatsoever to do with OFSTED or its analogues.

CRB, though, is not a panacea.

Do you have concerns about what is happening at thus club?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now