Is it just me, or does anyone else think inset days are completely unreasonable?

(53 Posts)
thumbsucker Mon 18-Apr-11 11:26:37

As a parent, it's hard enough trying to juggle work and child care during the school holidays, but I COMPLETELY fail to understand why teachers get about 13 weeks' holiday a year and then take additional days for training. Why can't they take a little bit less holiday (it's only 5 days, so that's um 12 weeks holiday - still WAY more than anyone else) and make it easier on parents? Anyone??

EdithWeston Mon 07-Oct-13 13:44:07

I do like the zombie thread alert!

The reason OP was criticised was because essentially she asked "why couldn't inset days be taken out of teachers' holidays" and it was pointed out at they are. The pupils' school year is, was, and will remain 190 days. The teachers' year is 5 days more than that (representing a reduction in their previous leave allowance).

colander Fri 11-Oct-13 23:31:16

Please remember when looking at teacher's holidays that we get 12 weeks a year (kids get13). That includes all the bank holidays. Therefore if most jobs give 25 days holiday, they also give another 8 bank holidays on top of that. We are now comparing 60 days with 33 days. Then remember that our holidays are totally inflexible.
I wonder how many non- teachers would trade another 27 days holiday a year with fixed holidays, verbal abuse, regular 14 hour days, fixed evening working commitments, weekend preparation... Oh and Michael Gove.

mummy1973 Fri 25-Oct-13 21:43:17

Teachers pay a lot into their pensions. Maybe this is not well known too. https://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/members/faqs/new-and-active-teachers/scheme-reforms.aspx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now