17 month old not talking much...

(4 Posts)
lndngg Mon 10-Oct-16 09:09:47

My 17 month old boy isn't talking an awful lot.. I read online by 18 months most toddlers can say 30 words! He will say mamma, dada, dat there, go there and that's about it. He understands an awful lot, but is reluctant to talk. I'm panicking! As its the two of us at home during the day, I'm obviously quite good at knowing what he wants which is maybe why he isn't stretching himself.

What do I do? Stop panicking? Go to speech language therapy?

mamarach26 Mon 10-Oct-16 09:17:59

I was exactly the same, he would only say gog, mamma, dada, nana.
Now he's gonna be 2 in a couple of weeks and doesn't shut up! Don't worry and I've learnt not too Google anything grin

NickyEds Tue 11-Oct-16 15:15:17

Stop panicking! 17 months is still very young. My ds had 2 words at 2 which is when we first took him to a SALT drop in, at which they said he was too little to worry. Understanding is more important at this age smile

lndngg Tue 11-Oct-16 17:24:40

Thanks for the replies! He understands virtually everything. I think we might be a family if mumblers, spoke to my Mum this morning who said it took a really long time for my grandparents to be able to understand her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now