Do you struggle financially in a relationship

(10 Posts)
WalkingBlind Thu 22-Sep-16 21:55:52

As a SAHP (if you are living with a partner) does your partner have to finance you completely? I'm worried about having to be totally dependant on my partner especially as I have debts.

fusspot66 Thu 22-Sep-16 22:01:14

If you live in one household as a family unit, you couldn't claim benefits without your partners income being taken in hospital consideration, hence in the absence of paid work, your partner would be expected to keep you.

fusspot66 Thu 22-Sep-16 22:02:40

The consensus is that it's unwise to be financially reliant on someone without being married to them.

fusspot66 Thu 22-Sep-16 22:03:52

Oops
2 posts ago
Income taken into consideration

NickyEds Fri 23-Sep-16 21:51:40

I think they do, yes. Unless you have another source of income aside from working when you give up work you become reliant on your partner. If you are worried about it then it might be best not to do it tbh.

Sparklesilverglitter Fri 23-Sep-16 21:55:38

My DH doesn't finance me at all.

I have my own large savings and I get an excellent maternity pay package from work.

If I had to rely completely on DH I would of gone back to work by now, I wouldn't of stayed home with DD.

Mozfan1 Fri 23-Sep-16 21:56:42

I am SAHM but we are married and I own our house outright so not very helpful, but as pp said marriage is a certain level of security for you.

SaggyNaggy Fri 23-Sep-16 21:59:01

O rely on my gf for cash. But, I have her cash card in my purse.... MuHahahahaha. grin

AyeAmarok Fri 23-Sep-16 21:59:44

Is your partner willing to pay off your debts?

If not, it's probably not the right time to be giving up all your earnings. Especially if you're not married, it leaves you in a really vulnerable position.

autumnboys Fri 23-Sep-16 22:04:31

I SAH for about 10 years. We were eligible for child benefit, but apart from that, I was kind of invisible really, I never applied for anything else, because DH earned too much. While I didn't have a financial fall back, I never worried because I knew and still know, even now I work, that my Mum would have taken me and the kids in if I'd needed it and bankrolled us until I could get everything straightened out. We've never had a conversation about it, ever, but DH knows this too. However, he is a good guy and I have never had cause to even consider it.

As PP have said, it's probably more dangerous ground if you're not married.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now