Friend fails to respond to invites to meet up. When do you give up?

(4 Posts)
Busybee1234 Sun 28-Feb-16 12:33:13

A close friend of mine who I saw at least once or twice a week for years has stopped responding to my text messages asking whether she would like to meet up with the children. As far as I know I've not done anything to upset her and put the lack of contact is down to her being really busy. She has 2 children under 5 and has been less available since our older children started nursery school.

I miss her and my child misses his friends (her children) as we've been close for years. They always get along very well.

Over the past few months she takes days to respond to text messages / does not answer her phone or says she'll let me know about a playdate and just never does. When we do meet up it is as if nothing had changed.

Over the past 2 weeks she's not replied to 3 text messages in which I asked if she would like to meet for a playdate / join up with other friends. When do you give up? I really don't want to give up on this friendship but is she sending signals that she is? What would you do?

pinkcan Sun 28-Feb-16 12:35:59

You are sending her too many messages IMO. Judging by the three in the last fortnight.

Message 1 - fine
Ignored
Message 2 - just about fine
Ignored
Message 3 - not fine

Just leave her alone. Don't cut her off or hate her, there's no evidence for that. Just leave her and see if she replies.

starpatch Sat 05-Mar-16 15:32:18

I'm sorry I have a similar situation and I know how important those relationships are to you and your DC. I thinking being a sahm mum makes those friendships all the more valuable. Sounds like fortunately there is no evidence that you aren't friends anymore. She is busy and as the older child is at nursery that will change routines and things so might make it harder to meet up. Do stop texting but don't give up on your friendship she will get back to you eventually.

ihatethecold Sat 05-Mar-16 15:35:46

Sorry op but she doesn't value the friendship as much as you.
I would leave it.
I have a friend who is doing this and I keep saying at the moment I can't meet up.
But she keeps asking and it's starting to feel like she's harassing me.
I know she means well but it's becoming annoying

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now