Newts in garden, any advice?

(4 Posts)
angielou123 Sun 19-Jun-16 13:52:18

Me and my son have just cleared out back garden out ready for a bulky waste collection tomorrow. While moving an old sofa and some black sacks, we found 5 drying up and nearly dead newts! We live nowhere near a pond so goodness knows where they came from. They are currently swimming happily around in our water butt!! The question is..... what the hell do I do with them now? If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful.... I only knew what they were due to playing near a large pond as a child.

CointreauVersial Sun 19-Jun-16 13:54:58

Find someone who has a pond (neighbour)?

DD1 went pond-dipping with Rainbows and came back with one - luckily we have a pond, so in it went. We've seen it since, so it must be happy.

DonkeyOaty Sun 19-Jun-16 14:32:29

Leave them be today - email your local wildlife trust or ring them, for advice. Iirc newts are protected and shouldn't be handled (vague)

angielou123 Sun 19-Jun-16 15:38:04

Thanks for replies. I looked online for any local ponds, no neighbour has one. There's one not far from me so i'm trying to borrow a bucket to move them in. I rang the wildlife number but no answer (sunday). It says they are protected and not to be moved more than a mile from where found. Stuff like this always happens to me!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now