Grange over Sands vs West Kirby

(13 Posts)
Nivea101 Tue 31-May-16 07:28:27

Hello, this is my first post but I've often looked things up on Mumsnet. I am a mum and a grandmother so don't have questions about schools, etc. smile

I've lived in Grange over Sands for 2 years now and much as I love living here being without a car is not great as the public transport here is dire especially at weekends which TBH I didn't take into consideration when I moved here. Although I am no spring chicken myself I find the local population far too old and it's all WI Meetings and Church Guilds which definitely are not my cup of tea.

Here in Grange on a Sunday it's practically a ghost town with nothing open except 2 mini supermarkets and a few cafes, and if you need something "out of the ordinary" say like something from a health food shop on any day you have to get a bus into Kendal at £6 a pop just to get some Stevia or an ingredient not found in the shops here or whatever which can be a right pain!! When I came here I loved the peace and quiet and still do but sometimes it's just a bit too quiet if you know what I mean and I get the urge to get out of town for a bit of liveliness!!

A job opportunity has come up in West Kirby and I have filled my application in but it's such a big move I am torn as what to do. My family did live in WK about 8 or 9 years ago but I've not been back since then and wonder has it changed that much?

Zhx3 Sat 04-Jun-16 23:59:20

Hi Nivea101,
I don't live in West Kirby, but grew up on the Wirral and still live quite close. Visit WK on the odd occasion.

To my mind, it hasn't really changed that much - New Brighton has changed beyond all recognition! There is the supermarket in WK (Morrison's?), which would cater for any unusual ingredients, and the area by the marine lake is pretty much as it has always been smile. I haven't been into the town area for a long time!

You'll probably know about transport links already, the trains every 15 min to Liverpool and the busses too. Don't think this has changed much.

Nivea101 Sun 05-Jun-16 08:55:54

Thank you Zhx3, well yesterday I got on the train and made the trek to WK and no it hasn't changed except obviously some of the cafes etc. have changed names/hands, it was really nice. The thing I was impressed most with is the transport system, as here it's REALLY dire. I was looking at staying overnight and coming back today (Sunday) but the train times just didn't work getting back here. I stopped off at Liverpool on my way home as there was a maritime day and it was heaving!! I am looking at long term because if something was to happen to my current job and I was still in Grange then I'd be pretty well stuffed unless I wanted to be a carer which I DON'T!!

At least in WK you could commute to Birkenhead or Liverpool for work. And of course there are more rental opportunities than here.

Grange hands down wins for being the most beautiful place to live but in practical terms it has to be WK. And if I am honest the peace and quiet I thought I needed so much is starting to wear a bit thin now!! WK was a lot livelier and I didn't feel like I was in a retirement village which I do sometimes feel living here.

That bit about the unusual ingredients sounds a bit random when I read it back but you know what I mean it's not just that, it's anything else like something from a health food shop because there isn't one here, I remember when my computer mouse broke a few months ago and I was like shock when I realised I couldn't just pop to a shop and buy one!! I think it would work out for me cheaper to live in WK too as there are big supermarkets Morrison's (which I did go in yesterday grin ) and Lidl.

Anyway I put my job application in, let's hope I even get an interview after all this soul searching lol. And thank you for your post I felt like Billy No Mates lol.

Zhx3 Sun 05-Jun-16 09:40:39

You are very welcome!

It was the Mersey River Festival yesterday, so Liverpool would have been extra-heaving. Liverpool has changed hugely since it won European Capital of Culture in 2008, and remains my favourite city in the UK smile. I don't visit as often as I would like to, even though we are also on a direct train line! My dc adore the Maritime and World museums.

Good luck!

Nivea101 Sun 05-Jun-16 10:08:41

Thanks Z hopefully I hear in the next week or so that I've got an interview. Liverpool is my home town but it's many years since I've lived there but I always get a sense of home when I visit. You are so right about the enormous change to Liverpool, I remember going once in the 80's and it was so bleak and dismal it was quite depressing, now it's pumping!!

When I was a kid I spent HOURS going around the museum and the Walker Art Gallery now there's another incentive for me to move, only half an hour on the train to all that culture and of course there's even more museums and attractions to visit now.

Zhx3 Mon 20-Jun-16 21:06:11

How did you get on, OP?

Nivea101 Wed 22-Jun-16 07:30:56

I have an interview on July 1st so fingers crossed, thanks for asking Zhx3 smile

Zhx3 Wed 22-Jun-16 22:24:13

Good luck!

Nivea101 Fri 24-Jun-16 07:57:07

Thanks I'll let you know how I get on smile

honeyroar Fri 01-Jul-16 18:25:40

Just stumbled on this post and realised your interview is today! Hope it went well.

I loved Grange over Sands for a visit, but can understand how it could get boring, especially with no transport.

I went to Crosby last week to the Other World statues. I noticed that there were good transport links into Liverpool, would there be an option? You'd still have the lovely beach and views, but would be within reach of a big city..

AnnieOnnieMouse Fri 01-Jul-16 21:11:49

Hope it went well.
We used to live in Morecambe. used to say if you could see GOS from Morecambe, it was going to rain; if you couldn't, then it was already raining.
I'd definitely got for West Kirby by comparison - have visited the area a bit.

Nivea101 Sun 03-Jul-16 15:16:29

Thanks ladies, well I hope to find out in the next few days, so fingers crossed.

lovelyupnorth Sat 09-Jul-16 12:41:04

Have you missed the train station in Grange. Have to say have lived in the area for 15 years and I'm no where near retirement and haven't found any of those issues. But hey ho. I do have car though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now