Moving out of London, pros/cons

(7 Posts)
4thequietlife Sun 20-Mar-16 11:25:58

Oh where do I begin?
My children are growing, as one is leaving education, two have left home, I have 3 at home, 15,11 and almost 3, Now for various reasons- Mostly financial, we will NEED to move ( We privately rent).
Regardless of area, My partner needs to stay in London ( North),
We don't know anyone ( nor would I ask) who would be a guarantor.
Now, there are plenty of houses up North- where you don't need one, Normally you just need a bond/reference, in some cases just deposit/bond etc,
I have lived in the West Midlands and to be honest , it wasn't for me.
My family come from Scotland, and my DP's family come from County Durham, So would either of these areas be nice to live in?
Would they resent Londoners living there, I don't want to upset the locals, nor do I want my children being bullied because of the same thing ( been there done that).
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, Don't think I am trying to be insulting or rude, if I have come across that way, I am so so so sorry. This is not my intention.
I just really really need some absolute down to earth advice on this.
It is not the moving that bothers me, My partner will come home at weekends anyway, it is more I want to get it right the first time.
Neither of us drive, but I am perfectly happy to walking/bus/train it. I just want to live somewhere quiet, peaceful, friendly, some green spaces etc. Thank you in advance. I really appreciate it any advice. I don't go to work, I am a full-time mum though.
smile Thank you thank you thank you

tomatoIzzy Sun 20-Mar-16 11:36:26

Have you considered somewhere closer to london. Cambridgeshire can be great.

dodobookends Sun 20-Mar-16 11:41:56

Have a look at the towns and villages on the main line out of Kings Cross, around Biggleswade, Sandy, St Neots, Huntingdon up to Peterborough. Nice countryside, reasonable house prices and good fast train service so your DH would be able to commute if he wanted to. Also near the A1.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 20-Mar-16 11:43:19

Move to somewhere as cheap as possible where he can commute.

Chesham, Hatfield, Watford - you will be able to get a rental on a 3/4 bed for a thousand-ish.

They're all ok areas.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 20-Mar-16 11:45:39

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-58220207.html

£1095 in Stevenage - 4 beds. If you only need a 3 bed you can get one in those areas for 800 a month.

juneau Sun 20-Mar-16 11:46:37

If you don't drive I really wouldn't bury yourselves deep in the countryside as rural bus services are generally utterly dire and you'll be relying on them or expensive taxis to get anywhere. So take a look at the train line(s) that will be most convenient for your DH to get to work and then cast your eye around those immediate areas. As your DH will be in London Mon-Fri I really wouldn't go too far north - yes housing is cheaper, but train tickets will be much more expensive too. My DB lives in Staffordshire and he commuted daily for years to London Euston. His local station was Tamworth. He cycled to the station, took train to Birmingham and then fast train to London. That's the kind of situation I'd encourage you to look at.

4thequietlife Sun 20-Mar-16 12:15:33

He wouldn't be bale to commute daily, Money is not that good. sad BUT!! I would like to say thank you for all your constructive comments so far, and I am definitely weighing up everything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now