Maidstone

(6 Posts)
Deborah51 Thu 04-Feb-16 23:42:13

Hi all, Maidstone, is it really that bad? I have a friend moving to a little village there, looks idyllic but I keep reading awful reviews, first hand knowledge needed please

WhatTheFuckIsMyOldUsername Thu 04-Feb-16 23:51:35

I lived there for a long time, until about 8 years ago. The town centre isn't great IMHO but I grin and bear it when visiting friends and relatives who still live there.

There are some lovely villages in the surrounding area, the north downs/ Weald are beautiful, near the sea, great for holidays to Europe and close to London for work/play. Having said that, commuting from Maidstone East to the City is difficult, long and expensive. Service is kinky to Victoria. If the City is needed then much better to look at Headcorn, Marden, Staplehurst, on the line that runs through Tonbridge to the coast.

I think you can have a great quality of life as long as you stay away from housing the town centre, which just feels increasingly run down. Also has grammar school system which some love and othershate so they need to bear this in mind if they have DC.

HarrietVane99 Fri 05-Feb-16 00:13:35

There are much worse places to live than Maidstone. Hasn't got such good rail connections with London as the Medway towns, but it's in the middle oif Kent so anywhere in the county is fairly easily accessible by car.

Most town centres that I know look a bit rundown. I don't think Maidstone is better or worse than most. It had a new development some years ago. There are plenty of coffee shops and family restaurants. Part of the main shopping street looks a bit sad currently because someone torched a bookshop last year and took out the shops on either side too. Lots of scaffolding and hoardings there while they do the work.

Florin Tue 09-Feb-16 16:17:06

Maidstone town centre is dire, no way would I visit there let a lone live there. She would be better looking at the villages in the Weald.

enyaheadress Tue 12-Apr-16 14:57:13

Hello, i am thinking (about to put an offer on a house) of moving to Staplehurst/Marden and would really appreciate some first hand information about schools. How are MGGS and Invicta at educating students with interests in the arts (drawing, craft, drama, dance)? What is Cornwallis Academy like in case one child fails 11+? These schools are listed on the right move entry as close/in catchment area? Any info on Staplehurst primary school?

Sparklycat Tue 12-Apr-16 15:10:20

I really like the town centre when I visit relatives. Seems nice and lots of little villages nearby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now